Chinese-Forums

Diminutive Suffix: 儿

bossidy

In this case, it is used not as a diminutive suffix; in fact, it doesn't have any meaning. As you said, it is a regional thing, which is characteristical for the north, especially Beijing. AFAIK, it is used mostly after nouns and verbs which end with a "n" in its pinyin. The prounounciation is a "mixture" of both words then:

bian+er => biar (or something like that, don't know how I should write it)

Some more expamples:

没门儿! (No way!)

孩子们玩儿得不想走。

Yes, as you guessed, it's a regional thing. It's used to spot who's not really from the same region (especially when there are just some conflicts between regions :mrgreen: ), because the rules for attaching 儿 are not so straightforward as described above.

(But please take what I say only less-than-half seriously :mrgreen: )

I have gathered from my teacher, a native Fujianese speaker, that sometimes the 儿 is used by everyone and sometimes just by people from Beijing. I learned that when I tried leaving 儿s out and she corrected me.

Another type of 儿 usage in 这儿 and nar4. I'm assuming that the 儿 doesn't mean anything and that is was just the way said it.

Another type of 儿 usage in 这儿 and nar4. I'm assuming that the 儿 doesn't mean anything and that is was just the way said it.

Another way to say it would be 这里/那里。

I guess it is only used in spoken language.