Chinese-Forums

Study in Kunming

sorriso23

Hello!

I am a German Student making a language course at Yunnan University from 11th February till 11 March.

I would like to meet some other language students to discover the city.

I already read some funny articles from people studying at Kunming, complaining about the not spring-like weather or discussing about the best bars to go in the evening.

If there`s someone interested in please contact me.

Zai jian

Till

Once you get here you will see that it is "spring" here all the time....and not in a good way... I can't stand KM weather, it's dry all the time and never rains. I miss rain.....(sigh)

Other than that, it's great here. You'll like it.

Over the past days it was snowing all the time in Germany.

Railroads were closed because there was too much snow on the street.

I think I will like this kind of spring.

What can be healthier than the sun in your face!!

I am very curious.

Unfortunately Yunnan University told me they not provide bed clothes for their student appartments.

Hope the shops in China are open on Sunday 12th (despite Spring celebrations) to buy some, otherwise I have to sleep with my clothes on top of a bare bed!!!

It actually rains quite a bit here in the summer and autumn. I also remember last winter being quite miserable with cold cold rain. This year is abnormal. One of my friends was saying that the temperature hit its highest mark in decades for that particular day (this was maybe a week ago). Actually, it can rain for months straight here, especially durning monsoon season. I think you're just blinded by the great weather we've been having these past few weeks! It does rain here. ;)

Anyhow, by the 12th most shops should be back open, and if the little places aren't open, Wal Mart will be without a doubt.

Wow - how good has the weather been in Kunming over the past few days - truly amazing - hope it continues. Just like a British summer. . . . actually, better than a British summer.

Just one gripe - for anyone thinking about studying here - got really hacked off when I went for breakfast this morning in a cafe - didn't have my early morning dump beforehand so got a desparate urge to go when in the cafe . . . . but then realised that there's not a restaurant or cafe toilet in KM that can take a log . . . aaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhh . . . how uncivilised is that? Having to plan your day around your dumps!

Before I got here I was told that Yunnan Normal University was the best. After starting to go there, it didn't take long for me to get bored. It seems that class time was mostly spent speaking in English with the teachers just answering basic cultural questions instead of actually teaching Chinese.

I think the best way to learn Chinese at the schools is to have one-on-one teaching.

Just one gripe - for anyone thinking about studying here - got really hacked off when I went for breakfast this morning in a cafe - didn't have my early morning dump beforehand so got a desparate urge to go when in the cafe . . . . but then realised that there's not a restaurant or cafe toilet in KM that can take a log . . . aaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhh . . . how uncivilised is that? Having to plan your day around your dumps!

Why not just duck into an alley and go on the gound like the other people? :mrgreen: I used to live near majie and the people out there would dump anywhere. You had to dodge turds everytime you walked down the street, which was fine unless you go out at night. Smelled great too. :mrgreen:

• 1 month later...
It seems that class time was mostly spent speaking in English with the teachers just answering basic cultural questions instead of actually teaching Chinese.

That's disappointing. I heard that there were a lot of south asians in Kunming, perhaps there classes would be entirely in Chinese? Any other schools you might reccomend in Kuming, or anybody else have experience at Yunnan Normal that they would like to share?

Wow - how good has the weather been in Kunming over the past few days - truly amazing - hope it continues. Just like a British summer. . . . actually, better than a British summer.

In the other thread, you didn't seem to enjoy Kunming too much – do you liek it better now?

I'm planning on going to Beijing to study for a month in the Summer, then Hangzhou for a semester. After that I was thinking about studying at Kunming for a semester, unless I liked Hangzhou and wanted to stay longer, or wanted to take a semester in Beijing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

I spent 1 month (February-March) at the language Center of Yunnan University.

I am very satisfied with tha language course and the acommodation.

Yunnan University is the biggest university at Kunming and the language center has each semester about 200 foreign students, about 60 % Asians, 40 % white students. Normally you spend a whole semester. The classes can very between 10 and 20 students. But if you only spend a short time or want to make a more intensive program you can also do one-to-one learner courses - thats what I did. In this case, it's useful to ask for english speaking teachers - I changed one of my 2 teachers after the first weak. But that's really no problem. The staff of the language center is very friendly and helpful.

I liked Kunming for its sunny weather and friendly people - the university is situated near the center and you can easily get around by bus.

If you like to go out in the evening and make party Kunming might become a little bit boring by time, but I can't compare it to other cities.

On the other hand the connection to the Campus is a real advantage making it easy to establish contact to chinese students.

Despite the short period I made a good progress of my language skills

and I can fully recommend the school.

Zai jian

sorriso

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking about going to Yunnan university, but i"m having trouble getting in touch with them and getting information. How much did you pay for your tuition? Also, did you go on your own? They seem to favour groups. Do you know anyone who stayed on to study during the summer? They told me over the phone that they didn't really have summer foreign students, which seems really strange.

How did you feel about the quality of instruction / accomodations / the city itself?

Any details you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!