Chinese-Forums

Skritter for iOS release imminent

CleverClogs

• 3 weeks later...

Small update: when the Skritter for iOS app does get released, its appstore page will be easily accessible through this direct URL: http://skritter.com/appstore. Until that time clicking the link will redirect you to the existing landing page, which allows you to sign up to be notified about the launch by email.

I've been away from learning Chinese for a while, but I downloaded the app, signed up for the free trial, and then managed to effortlessly practise for an hour a day. Which given my history is pretty incredible. Even threats of beatings from parents/teachers couldn't get me to do that!

• Like 1

Writing in the app is way more elegant than using the web version with a mouse, that's for sure. Now after the enlightenment, the web version feels a bit like a hack. The fluidity, polish and superior input in the app is in itself worth a lot, but combined with the portability it's pretty great. I used to have half an hour or so in the morning reserved for Skritter. These last few days I've slept in and just skrittered during breaks and dull parts of class(ideally I will find some new productive morning habit to replace it with instead of just giving in to sloth, but that's another matter).

Off-topic aside (it's traditional to make these the new main topic of discussion, by the way): If you're using Skritter with a mouse, you're doing it wrong. Graphics pad and stylus, every time and worth every penny. Obviously the iPhone app removes that need...

I'm sure the experience is much better if you have one, but personally I find carrying my laptop and textbooks a big enough of a hassle, and I try to avoid buying gadgets if I don't have to(been there, don that...). I wonder if an iPad version would be better or if it would be to big of a canvas?

@rebor I haven't used the app on iPhone, but I think the iPad canvas isn't too big for skrittering. When writing characters that I've learned with Skritter I usually see them with my eyes and imagine the stroke order, I don't wave my finger in the air or anything. Just waiting for the native iPad app that is on its way, even though I'm quite happy with the blown out iPhone app too.

I have tested the new Skritter app for two days now. Some observations:

(1) The demo does not work in this first version, you need an account to test it.

(2) The SRS has, like the web version, a strange behavior. Some "known" characters are repeated over an over.

(3) If you just wrote the 不 in 对不起, and the next vocabulary item is 不客气, the 不 must be written again, which is a waste of time.

(4) Tone testing of multi-character-words is very challenging, you must learn the neutral tones at the end and all the tone sandhi! I would rather learn only the original character's tones, but that is not possible.

Otherwise the app is fun to use.

• Like 1

(3) If you just wrote the 不 in 对不起, and the next vocabulary item is 不客气, the 不 must be written again, which is a waste of time.

If you feel that way you can always just mark the first character correct without writing anything. (Done automatically if you advance - click the right side of the screen.)

• 5 months later...