Chinese-Forums

Impossible task = ) App for Learning Traditional Chinese Characters with Cantonese pronunciation.

Kwok-Wai

I am looking for an app/program for the iPod touch to learn traditional characters via flash card program. Perhaps a dictionary program would be able to meet my needs. I am hoping that there may be a program that allows the user to edit/enter their own fields to be able to meet my requirements as I understand the market for Cantonese is small and the usage of Yale Romanization is even smaller. I would be looking at trying to learn 20 characters per week over a ten week period.

Requirements:

• Traditional characters
  • Fields: traditional Chinese character, English, Cantonese Yale Romanization, traditional character Cantonese written pronunciation and Cantonese spoken pronunciation or the ability to edit/enter own input.
  • Ability to review all fields (or at least character) and the ability to suppress other fields (i.e. just have the English show up)
  • Ability to use any field (or at least English and/or the character) to prompt for another field (Character or English)
  • Ability to have a master list of characters (1000) and then subdivide the list by course (200) and then even further by week (20)
  • Flash cards with intelligent presentation that can present ones you get wrong with increased frequency and vice versa
  • Ability to test and correct the proper stroke order
  • Ability to enter characters via: input with finger and typing strokes would be a plus.
  • Pronunciation (or ability to add sound file) for each character

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pretty much any standard flashcard program will do 90% of what you ask -- search for "anki" for example.

The last 10% that isn't support is your "5-sided" flashcard. Instead, anki supports only 2-sided cards, so you'll need to make separate card decks for each pair of data you want. In theory, this sounds like a major limitation; in practice, most people find they end up only really drilling 2 -- or at most 3 -- different types of cards (e.g. romanization to character is rather problematic due to homophones), and typically even for those don't drill evenly.

ZDT supports "4-side" cards -- traditional, simplified, pinyin, and definition. Sounds like you don't care about traditional and simplified, so it would be effectively "3-sided" for you, traditional, Yale romanization, and English.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...