Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2012

Brian US

Guys I'm applying for masters Sep '13 so I'm assuming I need two letters of recommendation from prof.

When can I make recommendation letters ? Does date really important in recommendation letters ?

Because I'm planning to make letters n all other needed documents ready within two months cause after that my parents are flying to diff country n afterwards I'm on one man army so I want to complete all the procedure before my parents fly to diff country.

@imcool

dude I think you should relax a bit. Sorry this isn't personal but some of the questions and reasoning is a little awkward to me.

I'm trying to think, how they would even know where you are? Do you think the Embassy will call immigration to check whether you're in China, your home country or anywhere else in the World? Traveling and education not allowed during application? I don't see the point over here. You might have to be there to "pick up" your scholarship if you receive it but you submit your documents by post anyway. Sorry unless there's something else to it, it makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Regarding your second question, if in application materials they dont mention any date issues with recommendation letters then it doesn't matter. If you've already graduated it'd be logical to get your recommendation letters right away or just before or after you "left" your uni. It could be for any purpose! My professors sent me recommendation letters via email with uni logos andsignatures. Letters in my application package were simply print outs from my company's printer. I could change the date in Word as I wanted. Contact info is always there so if they want they can verify it. Also Im not sure what your parents have to do with your application but maybe it's just me... try to be more independent :)

Finally, from my personal experience I advise you apply directly with the university you're after. It'll cost you additional USD80-100 or so but your chances are much much higher. CSC is very competitive and I still can't figure what determines who qualifies or who doesn't. I know people who had very average results at school, their english is quite poor, speak no chinese and got CSC Scholarship. On the other hand those who applied at the same time, were great students, smart, with excellent english and decent chinese skills and haven't heard a word from the Embassy. Good luck!

@ diste01 :

Thank you very much for your time mate :)

I want to be ahead of schedule before I miss out anything n waste my whole one year.

Ahem, Actually I dunno any medical field related prof in my home country. But my parents does and they can get me recommendation letters from a hospital.

P.s. I'm an independent guy n I don’t rely

on other people too much. But sometimes we all need a lil' help (Advice) from our parents/relatives/friends ^_^

1) What is your native country? US

2) Where did you apply? Embassy of the PRC in Washington, DC

3) When did you apply? early March

4) When was the deadline? End of April

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? Yes, rejected last year (with a nearly identical application)

6) What program did you apply for? Chinese language study (one year)

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. BNU 2. BLCU 3. Renmin

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? I applied as a self-financing student at BNU. It was already early June when BNU sent my admission package, so I didn't bother "updating" CSC/DC Embassy TPTB with my admission info

9) What agency number did you use? DC Embassy

10) Where did you get your physical done? My usual GP/clinic. Cost a ton. They were a bit flabbergasted by the whole thing and left a bunch of stuff blank.

11) How did you get your documents notarized? UPS Store

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? China?

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? Accepted with full scholarship for Fall 2012

14) How were you notified? By e-mail from DC Embassy official

15) When were you accepted/rejected? July 17

16) What school and program were you accepted to? BLCU as a General Scholar in the College of Advanced Chinese Training

This has been a lesson in not being overly pessimistic. I was sure I would be rejected again, so I proceeded as though I'd be paying my own way at BNU--to the point of buying a plane ticket over a month ago to coincide with BNU's registration period. BLCU's registration period is a week earlier, so my bad attitude will cost me over $300 in flight change fees. (Not complaining too much, as the scholarship will save me thousands. But still, that's $300+ that I could be spending on anything other than airline fees.) Moral of the story: if you were rejected this year and still want it, try again. It's a total crapshoot and a rejection has way more to do with their mysterious internal processes than it does your personal qualifications. Also, don't book expensive Trans-Pacific flights unless you are sure of your plans. Doh!

One thing I'm sure of: I'm moving out of the dorms ASAP. I'd kind of like to have roommates again since I've lived alone for the past 4-5 years and am starting to feel like a weird recluse. Feel free to hit me up if you're interested in apartment shares.

@imcool

I agree with diste01. You have a few months to get everything ready. Read the forums of this year and last year and the year before to get more information about questions you have. You'd be surprised at how useful it is.

Directly apply to the university you want. Also, dont worry about the whole being in China already part. Its more for formalities and for those people who have been in China for YEARS. Not really for those who just studied a semester. If you are nervous about it, dont put it on your resume or application form.

Letters of recommendation might or might not be really important to a school, if you know some professor at that school already that has a lot of power, try to get one from them, if not, just get any letter that says what a great student you are and blah blah blah youd be a great fit for this scholarship.

@eshton I am really glad I am now not the only one going from Belize. Congrats mien and I am happy for you. I am happy for everyone that has gotten accepted. This truly is a remarkable opportunity.

Stressful time for everyone, so if you start private messaging other members, let's try to get some of that useful information on the forums for everyone to benefit from. If it is specific to a university and not necessarilly about the CSC scholarship, then post in the related university topic on the forums. Same goes for visa issues and general information on living in China.

For those that feel like they are banging their head against the wall dealing with Chinese universities, remember that you are not alone. This scholarship is more of a take it or leave it kind, so don't expect to get special treatment like credit transfers, early/late admissions, or switching schools.

• Like 1

@ steveh

Thanks dude :)

I'll definitely look back into another forums started by you guys and this CSC forum is really helping a lot of peoples who actually dunno from where to start. Keep it up.

And congrats to those who got their scholarship n who haven't yet do NOT LOOSE HOPE.

called the IPC ppl today. They gave me a cell number for someone who was supposed to be dealing with CGS. Called him, he said he was at the embassy, waiting for the list, said to call back by noon. Called him around 1pm, he didnt answer my call. Ministry ppl still saying that its not here yet.

I keep on following this thread, we have July 30, I got everything sorted apart from visa (including plane tix etc.) and you guys don't even know the results. What a disgrace.... feel sorry for you and hope results will come out soon!

• Like 2