Chinese-Forums

QuickPinyin - Type pinyin with tone marks (portable)

Manuel

You are quite right, I'm Spanish! I suppose For a while I considered translating the UI and in fact started doing it, but I abandoned the idea because it was extra work. To be fair, most people whose first language is not English would usually study English before they even think about studying any other language, let alone Chinese.

But it's also true that plenty of Chinese people can't speak English, so a Chinese interface would probably be a good idea, it's just that I never thought Chinese people would be interested in this software. If and when I add it, I would do so in such a way that other languages may be added later with ease.

1 minute ago, Lzmpinyin said:

I think you can use the google translate , It's helpful to translate texts.

It's definitely very useful but it often produces inaccurate gibberish, so use it with caution. I only recommend using it as a starting point. A translation coming from an educated human is always best.

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2018 at 3:26 PM, Lzmpinyin said:

Although the language is different, we can add an icon to the menu of the software so that anyone can understand it.

I'll look into this if and when I have time, which could be a while (!) because I have quite a few other projects at hand, plus I'm going to be travelling for one whole month starting 26th Aug.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hànyǔ Pīnyīn Zhèngcífǎ Jīběn Guīzé ——The Basic rules of Chinese Pinyin Orthography.(GB/T 16159-2012)

GB/T 16159-2012: 

Without GB/T it: Dà jiā hǎo, zhè shì kuài sù pīn yīn!

Follow GB/T it: Dàjiā hǎo, zhè shì kuàisù pīnyīn!

It's up to the user to follow the standard, and QuickPinyin supports both---or rather doesn't impede either. Personally I separate all pinyin syllables with spaces because what constitutes a word in Chinese is often a matter of opinion. From Wikipedia:

Not all languages delimit words expressly. Mandarin Chinese is a very analytic language (with few inflectional affixes), making it unnecessary to delimit words orthographically. However, there are many multiple-morpheme compounds in Mandarin, as well as a variety of bound morphemes that make it difficult to clearly determine what constitutes a word.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 10:17 AM, Lzmpinyin said:

To: Manuel    Hanyu Pinyin's Dialects Characters

The Special Characters of Hànyǔ Pīnyīn: Format:【Special characters 】Input code

【ê】e^ 【ẑ】z^ 【ĉ】c^ 【ŝ】s^ 【ŋ】n^

Caps:【ÊE^ 【Z^ 【ĈC^ 【ŜS^ ŊN^

^=Shift+6

Example:ê = e + ^ = e + Shift + 6

Ê = E + ^ = E + Shift + 6 

These characters are used to spell dialects, but they are not commonly used.

I hope you add these characters to the next update of QuickPinyin.

Do you have a source detailing these? QuickPinyin was intended for Hanyu Pinyin, technically speaking would those dialects be considered "Hanyu"? I genuinely apologize for being lazy about adding new features, but at the moment I'm busy working on other things. Should there be any bugs I would fix those immediately, but new features will have to wait till I'm free.

On 10/18/2018 at 4:55 AM, Oniros said:

Just wanted to drop by to say that this program is incredible. I've been using to build a database of words I learn in class or with conversation with friends and it has become an essential tool for me. Muchas gracias Manuel!

De nada amigo! Glad you are finding it useful ?

4 hours ago, Lzmpinyin said:

When Chinese Pinyin is used for writing and spelling in the Mandarin area of Northern China, you can abbreviate "eh zh ch sh ng" to "ê ẑ ĉ ŝ ŋ"

So does this mean zhā would be ẑā in Northern China? In my opinion zh ch sh are sufficient because all pinyin input methods use these. The only ones that I would add are ng, which is not the same as en, and eh. Could you provide an example where eh is used? I don't think I have never heard this sound, where is it used? Thanks

2 minutes ago, Lzmpinyin said:

根据含有拼音方案音节表中的规定拼写规则,eh、zh、ch、sh、ng在使用时为了缩短拼式,可以使用附加符号写成ê ẑ ĉ ŝ ŋ,但是在实际使用中,因为附加符号输入不方便,很少有人使用这一规则,也没有一本字词典使用过,可见,人们并不喜欢使用附加符号。这一条规则实际上是多余的,可以在方案中删除。

According to the spelling rules specified in the syllable table containing the Pinyin scheme, eh, zh, ch, sh, ng can be written as ê ẑ ĉ ŝ ŋ when using, in order to shorten the spelling, but in actual use, because of the additional symbol input Inconvenient, very few people use this rule, and no word dictionary has been used. It is obvious that people do not like to use additional symbols. This rule is actually superfluous and can be removed from the scenario.

According to the above excerpt, nobody—even dictionaries—ever uses these special symbols, therefore there is no benefit in adding them to QuickPinyin. In fact, all pinyin input methods use zh ch sh ng and none of the input methods I use recognises eh. If there is a good and valid reason to do so, the only ones I might consider including are eh (ēh/éh/ěh/èh), n (n1/ń/ň/ǹ) and ng (ng1/ńg/ňg/ǹg), and still I have reservations:

1. I have never seen examples of eh, perhaps you could give me an example Chinese sentence where this might be used.

2. n and ng are almost always transcribed as en and eng, respectively. Pleco uses n and ng in one of its dictionaries. For example: 嗯 = ǹg

3. I can find tone marks for tones 2, 3 and 4, but not for the first tone: n1/ń/ň/ǹ. If this character does not exist, then there is no way I can support n and ng.

5 minutes ago, Lzmpinyin said:

3. 字符映射表中有“组合变音标记”字符,选择第五个字符——组合用长音符。There is a "combination diacritics" character in the character map, choose the fifth character - combine long notes

那你试试看吧,n1对应的字符能不能打出来, 我刚刚没成功。

You have a go and try to type the character for n1, I've not succeeded.