Chinese-Forums

QuickPinyin - Type pinyin with tone marks (portable)

Manuel

OK, is really a combination of two characters, n and  ̄  (macron) (known as a "combining diacritical mark"), as you can see here. The resulting combined character is really two characters and some text editors don't display this correctly, here are two examples, Editplus (left) and Anki (right):

Diacritics.png.1ac5438c332d5170a624d9d0d8e8463a.png Diacritics.png.3b9e35124e8cccefe40603e17e130a92.png

ń, ň, ǹ are all one-character symbols with their own Unicode and always display properly. However, we can also use combining diacritics to type ń, ň, ǹ, as shown below in red:

ń

Unfortunately, there is no one-character version of , which is a pity:

As for zh, ch, sh and ng, I can tell you upfront I will not implement these because they serve no practical benefit and might even cause confusion. However, despite my reservations about using combining diacritical marks, I'm willing to implement n̄ ń ň ǹ and n̄g ńg ňg ǹg. Would that be ok?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/1/2018 at 4:03 PM, Lzmpinyin said:

Do you have time?

Hey, sorry I've been busy lately. I will look into this over the Christmas vacation (starting 20 December). I expect to have spare time then. ? I will probably send you a test version before releasing the update. Will also look into translating the user interface if I have enough time & energy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello Manuel, 

I actually joined Chinese-forums specifically for your app and I find it to be simple and effective with almost no overhead. It truly is a stellar work, and thank you very much for creating it. In my new role with a company, I'm going to be interfacing regularly with Chinese business personnel, and I'm building out my rather limited vocabulary based on our meetings. This means that I'll be typing out English words, Chinese characters, and their pinyin phonetics back to back. Unfortunately, and I apologize if this has already been brought up, I've noticed with QuickPinyin enabled, selecting a number when typing out Chinese character overrides the character text input. For reference, I'm using the Chinese(Simplified China) Microsoft Pinyin keyboard.

My question is, Is it possible to disable QuickPinyin when using this Chinese input keyboard to enable number select for multiple character options? This would speed up character selections beyond the first one. Thank you again for a great app!

On 1/10/2019 at 5:18 PM, ganhuanjun said:

For reference, I'm using the Chinese(Simplified China) Microsoft Pinyin keyboard.

I should be able to fix this. Which version of Windows are you using?

12 hours ago, ganhuanjun said:

I'm running Windows 10 Pro.

Interesting, it works fine on my computer. The only thing I can think of is I'm using an English version of Windows and maybe you are not, can you confirm? If so, I may need to ask you to perform a small test.

On 1/18/2019 at 7:07 AM, ganhuanjun said:

No, I'm using an English version of Windows as well. 

That's weird, me too, but here it works correctly. What you requested was actually already implemented, so what you are experiencing is not expected behaviour.

Please download and run WinClassDetector.exe utility (see attachments below). I've also attached the source code in case you have AutoHotkey. With WinClassDetector running, move the mouse over the IME candidates pop-up and the composition area (above the pop-up), as shown in screen capture below, and press Space to copy the WinClass of each of these. On my system I get the following WinClass values:

MSCTFIME Composition (IME compositon area)
Microsoft.IME.UIManager.CandidateWindow.Host (IME candidates pop-up)

Please let me know what you get on your system so I can diagnose the problem, thanks :)

QuickPinyin.thumb.gif.d6d1ba876f0b07a0d04a00b3754096c8.gif

WinClassDetector.exe

WinClassDetector.ahk

Sorry, I do most of my Chinese work on my work computer, and it's taken a little while to get to a point I can test this. 

Hovering over the text copies the following to the clipboard: 

Framework::CFrame

Hovering over the popup yields:

Microsoft.IME.UIManager.CandidateWindow.Host