Chinese-Forums

QuickPinyin - Type pinyin with tone marks (portable)

Manuel

32 minutes ago, ganhuanjun said:

Hovering over the text copies the following to the clipboard: 

Framework::CFrame

Well, there's our answer. Just curious, which software did you test this in (Word, Notepad, etc)? I'll whip up a test version for you to test and if it works I'll release it. Thanks ~~

On 1/24/2019 at 12:56 AM, ganhuanjun said:

Sorry, I do most of my Chinese work on my work computer, and it's taken a little while to get to a point I can test this. 

Hovering over the text copies the following to the clipboard: 

Framework::CFrame

Hovering over the popup yields:

Microsoft.IME.UIManager.CandidateWindow.Host

OK I've finally gotten around to fixing this and a few other things that weren't working properly (like checking for updates). When you get a chance, please download the attached ZIP file (bottom of this reply), extract and replace your QuickPinyin.exe with the new EXE.

BTW, I'm curious, do the beep sounds work on your system? Used to work fine on mine, but stopped working after a Windows 10 update. I've just added functionality to support custom sounds (using WAV files, also included in the attachment).

Look forward to your feedback, cheers!

QuickPinyin v1.15b1.zip

Hey Manuel,

On 1/28/2019 at 7:50 PM, Manuel said:

When you get a chance, please download the attached ZIP file (bottom of this reply), extract and replace your QuickPinyin.exe with the new EXE

I just got around to testing that new file you posted and it's working great! I don't have any more conflicts when selecting options with QuickPinyin enabled.

On 1/28/2019 at 7:50 PM, Manuel said:

BTW, I'm curious, do the beep sounds work on your system?

I've never heard sounds for it aside form a startup sound.

8 hours ago, ganhuanjun said:

I just got around to testing that new file you posted and it's working great! I don't have any more conflicts when selecting options with QuickPinyin enabled.

Good to hear! I'll be uploading v1.16 some time soon, so stick around—need to tidy up a couple of things first. For the time being I'm putting this beta on the first post.

If you can hear the startup sound, that means sounds are working for you, which is good. Still going to add wav support anyway because the PC speaker beeps are ear-piercing.

• New Members

Just a quick reply: Thanks a lot for this program! I've been looking for something small and simple like this for a very long time!

Unfortunately, I haven't found a "donate" button, but in case you add it - or if we happen to meet in China / Beijing one time, I'll be happy to supply a beer. And a burger along with it! ?

2 hours ago, sadelux said:

Just a quick reply: Thanks a lot for this program! I've been looking for something small and simple like this for a very long time!

Unfortunately, I haven't found a "donate" button, but in case you add it - or if we happen to meet in China / Beijing one time, I'll be happy to supply a beer. And a burger along with it! ?

Thanks for the kind words mate :) Do subscribe to this thread because I'm going to be uploading v1.16 soon to fix a small incompatibility issue with Windows 10's built-in Chinese IME. If you use the built-in IME, you will be able to use QuickPinyin simply by switching from Chinese to English (or other non-IME language e.g. German/French/Spanish/etc), without having to manually turn off QuickPinyin each time.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Xièxie Manuel, Quickpinyin hěn bàng.
Dàn wǒ yǒu yīgè wèntí.
Bǐrù
When I type Han, then hit 4 on the keyboard, I end up with Haàn, not Hàn.
I think this only started happening after a Windows upgrade of some kind last year, one of the major updates.
Before, it worked.
Any ideas?
I have v1.15, btw

On 10/13/2019 at 1:20 PM, cyberpal said:

When I type Han, then hit 4 on the keyboard, I end up with Haàn, not Hàn.
I think this only started happening after a Windows upgrade of some kind last year, one of the major updates.
Before, it worked.
Any ideas?
I have v1.15, btw

Hi! I've just tested but I can't reproduce the problem, if I type Han4 or han4 it just types hàn as expected. I've checked the corresponding code and everything looks to be in order.

I know this may sound silly but, if you haven't done so yet, can you test in a different application as well? Could you test on another computer just to be sure? You could also try closing QuickPinyin and then renaming your QuickPinyin.ini file to QuickPinyin.bak and then restart QuickPinyin, and see if the problem still happens.

BTW, which version of Windows are you using? I've tested on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit with all the latest updates as of today. Are you running QuickPinyin as an Autohotkey script or did you download the 'installer' version? The script doesn't work at all with the current version of AutoHotkey, but the installer version works correctly.

It's the app I am using.  OneNote, the free version in Windows 10, seems to have the issue.

Word 2016, Notepad, OneNote 2016, all ok.

And I switched to OneNote last year so I could also do my Hanzi in there, previously I was just typing in Pinyin in Google Docs, but couldn't figure at the time how to draw in it.

Didn't want to use OneNote 2016 also because it is a corporate machine, and didn't want my private stuff in the corporate OneNote docs.

Was easier to just start the free OneNote, which my company doesn't use.

Wonder what causes it.

29 minutes ago, cyberpal said:

It's the app I am using.  OneNote, the free version in Windows 10, seems to have the issue.

Word 2016, Notepad, OneNote 2016, all ok.

And I switched to OneNote last year so I could also do my Hanzi in there, previously I was just typing in Pinyin in Google Docs, but couldn't figure at the time how to draw in it.

Didn't want to use OneNote 2016 also because it is a corporate machine, and didn't want my private stuff in the corporate OneNote docs.

Was easier to just start the free OneNote, which my company doesn't use.

Wonder what causes it.

Bizarre but Microsoft are very good at creating temperamental software. I uninstalled OneNote and even the Microsoft Store as I didn't have a use for any of it, but I'll see if I can test on a virtual machine.

BTW if you type, say fan4, do you get faàn? (maybe try other pinyin syllables. You could also try using a different font in OneNote and see if it makes any difference. I remember a similar issue with some fonts in Word that had trouble displaying certain characters.

Hi,

Tried a few different fonts, unfortunately same issue seemed to happen.

It's not just restricted to the word Hànyǔ, that was one example, a few others -> nǚ'eèr, Shaǎnghaǎi, haǎo, haǎo, faǎn

The way I am operating in Onenote right now, to make it work, I have to type the number directly after the letter I want the accent on, and then it works.

Eg, To get hǎo to come out correctly, I type ha, then a 3, then o.

It's helping me remember the tones :)

5 hours ago, cyberpal said:

The way I am operating in Onenote right now, to make it work, I have to type the number directly after the letter I want the accent on, and then it works.

It's helping me remember the tones :)

Alright I'll have a look, thanks for the detailed report

Couple more notes, if you are intent on replicating the situation ->

Windows Region - Australia - I am in Perth, Western Australia

Regional format -  English (Australia)

Windows Display Language - English (Australia).

Default Language in Preferred Language - English (Australia), keyboard - US Qwerty keyboard

Secondary Language pack loaded - Chinese (Simplified, China) - Microsoft Pinyin Input Keyboard loaded

I don't use QuickPinyin when using the Chinese pack, again, sometime use this in Hanzi study.

On 10/16/2019 at 1:19 PM, cyberpal said:

Tried a few different fonts, unfortunately same issue seemed to happen.

It's not just restricted to the word Hànyǔ, that was one example, a few others -> nǚ'eèr, Shaǎnghaǎi, haǎo, haǎo, faǎn

I've tested the official QuickPinyin v1.15 on a virtual machine with OneNote and for me it's working fine. Anyway, I've attached a few test versions for you to test. Please unpack the .zip file, run each of the included .exe files directly, one at a time, and test in OneNote. Always close the previous version before running the next, otherwise they will interfere.

I also read this, where someone had the same problem with OneNote, with another AutoHotkey  script also using hotstrings (this is what QuickPinyin uses to convert han4 to hàn etc), and the solution was to re-install OneNote. Of course if you can test on a different computer first that might save you the trouble of uninstalling and re-installing OneNote.

QuickPinyin v1.15.20191018.zip

• 7 months later...
  • New Members

Hello Manuel,

QuickPinyin is amazing and I've recommended it to a lot of people. Congratulations on developing this tool, it's really useful.

If I can suggest one change, it would be to not interfere when using the Chinese input on Windows. For example, if I want to write 好 on the native pinyin to Chinese input Windows has, I need to type hao + 1 (meaning it's the first option of all the characters). If QuickPinyin is activated, it will input the first tone and for some reason become hoā. I think you should have no problem reproducing this.

Normally simply turning QuickPinyin off with the "s d f" combination would be enough, but I need to constantly change between typing in mandarin and pinyin with tone marks for the purpose of my studies. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this already, if yes, I apologize, but is there a way to have QuickPinyin auto-disable in the Pinyin to Chinese input method? 

All the best!