Chinese-Forums

Violence against foreigners in Beijing?

carlo

I have never been to Sanlitun for drinking so I don't have that experience, but Roddy's post makes sense to me. I usually go out for some eating and drinking where I live in Mudanyuan and the only problem I have is saying no to all the beer and drinks that people offer me. :shock:

The situation is probably different in Sanlitun but I believe all this is blown out of proportion. I am sure there are some shady places in Beijing and Sanlitun might be one of them, but compared to Sweden the night life seems very peaceful.

That all said - I should also point out that I don't think I've been out drinking in Sanlitun since Obama's inauguration. Grains of salt may be required.

Are you suggesting that there could be a possible link between Obama's inauguration and increased violence against foreigners in the Sanlitun area? :P

Quite an interesting theory indeed!

• Like 1

Well, I go to Sanlitun and get smashed every time I got to Beijing. I have blacked out from drinking probably half a dozen times in Sanlitun. The next time I go to Beijing, I will probably go to Sanlitun and get drunk. I think it is a great time. Am I worried about being attacked? Not really.

Personally, I think it is a lot of hype and nonsense about all this violence. Let me use a comparison from the city where I went to school, Austin, Texas. In Austin we have a street known throughout Texas called 'Sixth Street'. It is basically an area about 5-6 blocks long where every single place is a bar. Probably over 100 bars in that small area. On the weekends they block off the street and tens of thousands of people go there to get hammered.

Guess what... fights happen in an area with thousands of drunk people. On Sixth Street in Austin they happen every night. That's just what drunk people do, some of them like to get in fights. And with half Chinese and half foreigners going to the Sanlitun area, fights between Chinese and foreigners are going to happen. Chinese, however, tend to gang up on people when fighting, hence reports of foreigners getting 'beat down'.

However, I have never been attacked by a random person, or by anyone, for that matter. Why? Because I watch out. If someone looks like they are looking for a fight, I don't talk to them or look at them. If someone yells at me, I act like I don't hear it. If someone begins to make threats, I back down. I do not walk down shady looking alleyways and in general I try to stay with a group of at least 2-3 people.

Also, it's common sense that a woman shouldn't be walking around by herself late at night. That's just not something you do. I'm not saying it's the girl's fault or anything, but a bit more caution should be exercised. A woman walking around by herself may get raped. I do think it is strange that some Chinese men apparently like to beat up random women.

• Like 1

IMO one of the great things about Beijing, Taipei and I assume other Asian cities that at least a Western woman can actually walk around late at night unmolested. Especially in Taipei I really liked my late-night wandering. A quiet nighttime city, once in a while I'd pass by some restaurant where even at 3 at night there would still be a few people hanging out, chatting, having a beer... And once in a while I'd suddenly see someone hauling half a pig around on his back. Good times.

The only assault stories I ever hear involving foreigner women in Beijing take place in taxis. The idea that women shouldn't be out alone at night makes me wonder how on earth I am supposed to get home after dinner or drinks. Should I always make arrangements beforehand for a man to bring me home? How mafan would that be. Or perhaps I just shouldn't go out after dark in the first place, is that it?

• Like 3

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Subject: Message for U.S. Citizens: Precautions Advised in Beijing Nightclubs

To:

In the early morning hours of Saturday, June 9, a group of local

nationals assaulted an employee of the U.S. Embassy in Beijing inside

the Element nightclub, located on the west side of Workers' Stadium near

Sanlitun. The employee, who was out with some colleagues, was hit in

the head with a sharp object as he was dancing away from the group.

According to witnesses, the employee fell to the floor and was

repeatedly beaten and kicked in the head by individuals serving as

bouncers for the nightclub. By all accounts, the attack was unprovoked.

This is not the first report of violence directed at U.S. citizens in

the nightclubs outside of Workers' Stadium. In September 2010, another

employee of the U.S. Embassy in Beijing was assaulted inside a different

nightclub at the north end of Workers' Stadium in another unprovoked

incident. Private U.S. citizens have also reported being victims of

crime in the nearby area.

U.S. citizens are reminded to use caution when enjoying the nightlife in

Beijing. Maintaining an awareness of your surroundings and keeping a

low profile are critical to avoiding potential problems.

Would a Chinese embassy employee fare better in a night club in a similar district in the US?

I meant to imply that there is a chance violence against foreign government staff may be deliberate and targeted rather than a random event in a club. Doesn't really matter what country you're in or what foreign country they serve; although the recent string of negative news about foreigners in China could add fuel to the nationalist fire (motivating either a random or targeted attack).

How would they know it was an embassy employee? It's not like they wear special hats or anything. I think the reason is probably more likely that during the 'dancing away from the group' he was grinding the girlfriend of one of the bouncers (or similar), and the bouncer took exception to it.

• Like 1

That the bouncers were involved suggest that this probably wasn't targeted towards foreigners. Foreigners make up a good percentage of the customers in night clubs in that area. Bouncers who deliberately seek to pick fights with foreigners would be picking a fight with their employer.

I think the reason is probably more likely that during the 'dancing away from the group' he was grinding the girlfriend of one of the bouncers (or similar), and the bouncer took exception to it.

I agree that this is the most likely reasons.

How would they know it was an embassy employee? It's not like they wear special hats or anything.

I was insinuating that it wasn't a random, heat of the moment beating. Again, I agree that the bad-dance-moves explanation is more likely.

Maybe it was some random visa clerk in the wrong place at the wrong time. Whaddya mean, boring? Ok, probably was a CIA-approved hit designed to simultaneously warn off an embassy official who'd been asking too many questions and discredit the Chinese nightclub industry in exchange for a payoff from Iowan disco farmers.

I think the reason is probably more likely that during the 'dancing away from the group' he was grinding the girlfriend of one of the bouncers (or similar), and the bouncer took exception to it.

Dontcha think you're doing a bit much blaming the victim here?

I think one should be able to go to a bar, (gently!) hit on / chat up a woman, and NOT get beat-up over it. [Now if one is being obnoxious, that might be a bit different.] And while I'm not in China now, and don't know the bar scene, don't you think that the current anti-foreigner rhetoric there is making it more likely that what would have been some yelling and pushing of foreigners two months ago now might much more quickly come to blows?

I think one should be able to go to a bar, (gently!) hit on / chat up a woman, and NOT get beat-up over it.

I agree with this, and am not trying to excuse the behaviour, just offering up a possible reason behind it, rather than it being say a targeted attack on embassy employees.