Chinese-Forums

Business Chinese Test Exam - review

prateeksha

Great write-up. Always good to have information about these sorts of things.

Question:

Who needs to take this type of exam? Is this test in a position to displace the HSK?

Based on the example you provided:

问:请问你找谁?

A:王经理 B:我去找他 C:他在楼上

...it seems the BCT may be simpler than the HSK. I'd imagine anyone engaging in regular business interactions with Chinese in Chinese would already have a superb working knowledge of the language, and would be in the advanced HSK range. Under such circumstances, why take the BCT?

kdavid, I am in in no position to comment if BCT can replace HSK. I think both the exams have their own place under the sun. The example I stated here is of course rather simple. Actually this is the sample example question they play in the 模拟试卷 and 考试录音 both. For someone who already has a superior level of knowledge [certified by HSK or by experience], these questions are rather banal.

However, as I said, this is a combined exam to gauge levels ranging from complete beginner to expert. The initial questions are simpler, but the difficulty keeps increasing. Question 33-42 in 听力部分 narrate financial reports, export-import datasheets and interviews with experts. Indeed requiring quite some 专门 vocabulary. Someone might be an HSK level 6 holder, but not necessarily know the words specific to business. The 阅读部分 requires you to read the annual reports, factsheets, compare CIF and FOB prices and the like. Some of these things I would have never known had I not taken Business Chinese as a course in school.

And last but not the least, I guess many of us take these tests to make our resumes look prettier. An official certification has never, ever been known to hurt :)

• New Members

I signed up for this site for this exact reason, so thank you so much for sharing this. I would say my Chinese is upper-intermediate to advanced now, and I was looking at what was the best way to let future employers know of my Chinese level, and if they even knew what the HSK or BCT

I wouldn't expect many people to know about it, but if you say Grade A in Business Chinese Test (or whatever, I don't know how the grading works) on a CV and mention in a covering letter that you studied relevant terminology while preparing for the BCT, they'll figure it out.

I was looking at what was the best way to let future employers know of my Chinese level, and if they even knew what the HSK or BCT

I'ld say just put it on the C.V. (language, skill, level) as a real score or as an indication if you didn't do an official test. If your prospect employer is interested he'll google it. If it's relevant for the position you can point it out in the letter too and they probably know about the common language tests. Otherwise I see little reason to make a fuss about it. Everyone has some 'odd' fairly irrelevant skills.