Chinese-Forums

What does he sing?

semantic nuance

Hello,

This is one line from 1904 of The Tallest Man on Earth (a.k.a. Kristian Matsson) but I doubt so much about what the lyrics link posted. I need help from you. What does he sing? Thank you in advance.

What I heard are:

1. This is one rubs(robs?) me to go through my window.

2. This is when robbers made to go through my window.

The dubious line from here is :

As one rock was made to go through my window

Listen online

one line from 1904.mp3

I hear it as either:

And since one rock was made to go through my window

or

This is one rock was made to go through my window.

Which is not strictly grammatically correct, but is an example of usage that is not uncommon either and is equivalent to:

This is one rock (that) was made to go through my window.

The surrounding lyrics don't really give any sort of clue as to what the line might actually be.

• Like 1

Thank you very much, imron. I've been putting on repeat on that part till my ears hurt.

This one is not clear to me, either. Does he sing 'sweep up the floor', 'sweep off the floor', or 'sleep above the floor'?

Also, the following line from that lyrics does not match what he sings between 2:49-2:51.

It seems that he sings :Because something with these trails are just different, while the lyrics on that site go as

and now something in these trails is just different

Did I hear it wrong?

Or if I was right, then 'something with these trails are just different' is not grammatically correct, isn't it?

Much appreciated!

sweep off the floor.mp3

Does he sing 'sweep up the floor', 'sweep off the floor'

It's unclear and could be either. From an idiomatic usage perspective, I would lean more towards 'sweep up the floor', but the site itself (which is the publisher of the album) lists "sweep off the floor", so it's not so clear, especially when you take into account the singer is not a native English speaker either.

Given that many of the lyrics in this song seem to be a bunch of various metaphors strung together, it can be difficult to try to figure out from context what the exact words are, however I think "sleep above the floor" can be discounted entirely. What sound do you make when you sleep above the floor? It just doesn't fit the context or make much sense.

It seems that he sings :Because something with these trails are just different, while the lyrics on that site go as

I agree that it seems he sings this.

It may well be that when he wrote the song he used one set of lyrics, but then as he sings it, it gets adapted on the fly and a word or two from his 'original' lyrics gets changed up, or it could just be that someone transcribed the lyrics and made a couple of small mistakes.

• Like 1

Thank you once again, imron. Really appreciated!

As for 'sweep off', or 'sweep up', the linking between 'sweep' and the latter word seems a bit closer to the 'swee bove'(o sounds as in 'cup' to my ear. But agian, I'm not native English speaker! If the 'o' sound is right, then it should be 'sweep up'. However, the ending does not sound like 'p' as 'up' indicates. But again, 'sweep' followed by 'off' does not sound right either.

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that with any song, a certain amount of leeway is always allowed with regards to grammar, pronunciation and the like because such things may need slight adjustment to make the lyrics rhyme or match the rythym of the verse and so on. In such situations, language 'correctness' often takes second place to artistic value, in what is generally referred to as taking artistic licence.

Unfortunately, this can make it harder to analyse ambiguous words for clarity. Just looking on the Internet for the lyrics of this song, it seems there are 4-5 different interpretations for that line you quoted in your original post, so if even native English speakers have trouble figuring it out, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it too much.

Ah! poetic license again! Honestly, to me, I think a lame "artist" would use that for an excuse. :evil:

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it too much.

Neither would I. :P And, thank you for helping me out!

I heard: This is where robbers meet to go through my window.

This brought back memories of trying to figure out the lyrics in Mannfred Mann Earth Band's cover of Springsteen's Blinded by the Night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinded_by_the_Light

(Check out the Lyrics section in the Wikipedia article.)

Also brings to mind Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple.

Ian Gillan sings, "With the Rolling truck Stones thing just outside."

Should be: "With the Rolling Stones truck thing just outside."

I think he mixed up the words for rhythm.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/d/deep+purple/smoke+on+the+water_20038742.html