Chinese-Forums

Where is the Quote button?

Takeshi

The way it is now, I sometimes have to read 20 posts to find out who a poster is replying to. It is possible to add this manually, using the "QUOTE name='imron'" syntax and the like, but obviously most people won't bother.

OOOOOOOOOOOH I am thoroughly enthused. Perhaps beyond words.

Edit: Nope, when I look at it, I still have words. But they all start with:

OOOOOOOOOOOH
  • Like 1

Maybe we could use the symbol ^ (upper case 6 on my keyboard)twice ^^ as very rough aproximation for the character 从 cong meaning from to show where the post came from that is being quoted. Something like this maybe:-

^^ Someone

Test text etc

The quote button didn't work :) so i pretended, but you should get the idea.

Even if the quote icon is not working, you can still manually type the quote tags yourself. In fact, as a heavy keyboard user, this is how I always do it.

Well, what we'd like is to be able to click a quote button on a post to get the name of the poster we're replying to. The point is to take away the need to type {quote name="person"}, which would let everyone quote easily without spamming. Seems like a great idea to me.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

If I good enter a feature request, it would be for the quote button be re-added. It is on many other forums that a visit and it was always a great help.

It actually helped people communicate better, because in stead of saying referring to other people's words with 'that' or 'what you said', people were ,more specific and less confusion arose from which exact words were referred to.

And I never saw many cases that people over-quoted; usually only the paragraph or sentence that the point of discussion. And anyway, I believe that the trade off between some people over-quoting and other too-less quoting is positive when having the quote button.

Just my two cents.

Anyway, this is good forum still.

"imron wrote:"

Copy the text you want to quote.

Paste the text into the "Reply" text field.

Select the text with the mouse.

Hit the quote icon (this will place quote tags around the text)

Type your reply.

Repeat as needed.

Don't forget "Memorize the name of the person you're quoting so you can put it at the top so people know who you're quoting."

A quote button would be oh so much less troublesome. I don't see what the big deal is.

A quote button would be oh so much less troublesome.

Yes it would, which tends to encourage people to quote more than they should.

The whole point is that removing it makes people be more selective about what they should quote, or even realise that perhaps they don't even need to quote anyway.

Doing it this way was a concious decision and I don't see it changing anytime soon, especially as previous times when people convinced Roddy to re-enable it, it never lasted more than a couple of weeks before Roddy got sick of all the over-quoting and disabled it again.

For what it's worth, I am delighted by the lack of quote button.

I get so annoyed on other forums when someone wants to refer to three words in a post, but quotes the entire 2000 words. Then user b) repeats the whole 2000 words just to add "No."

If you are really so busy and important that you can't take time to extract and only quote the relevant part, how come you have so much time to spare on chat forums?

The way it is now, I sometimes have to read 20 posts to find out who a poster is replying to. It is possible to add this manually, using the "QUOTE name='imron'" syntax and the like, but obviously most people won't bother.

OOOOOOOOOOOH

Wow, how did you do that? *testing*

OOOOOOOOOOOH

Wow, how did you do that? *testing*

Quoteception.

• 2 weeks later...

What Imron means to say is "I don't want the quote button back either, but I'm going to say 'Roddy' a lot so people think it's his fault."

see.

Don't trust Imron. He just does it to make me look bad...if it wasn't for him you could have the quote button back...well, never. But that's not the point.

We've managed brilliantly without the quote button so far. I am confident we will continue to do so. If anything, the increased use of mobile devices makes our (note, Imron, the use of the second person plural) maverick quoting policy look even wiser - life's too short to scroll.

• 8 months later...

Just an idea, but couldn't you impliment a quote button next to every post that simply quotes whatever is highlighted within that post, and displays an error message if nothing is highlighted? This ought to solve the "quoting the entire post unnecessarily" problem whilst providing the functionality of automatically referencing who said it and linking back to the original post.