Chinese-Forums

Homestay Shanghai- need your opinions!

Guest Maliya

Hi, everyone!

Recently I've found the opportunity to go to China with a "homestay"programm- living in a Chinese family and teaching them English. But I have a question - do you (or your friends) have any experience in participating in such internship? What do you think about this? (P.S. it seems a little bit strange for me, because I don't have to pay any fee for the company that I've found. - only for a viza. Is it really possible? Actually I don't believe there're still such companies, that offer a new experience and don't try to make money on it- as they've told- the host family will pay all expenses).

I will appreciate a lot your advices,opinions, suggestions!

Sincerely,

Maria

Is it really possible?

Yes, but you should think about *why* that might be the case. If the host family is going to be paying for everything (and also footing an agency fee to boot), then the reason is most likely that the agency has sold you to the host family as a live-in English teacher - and that is what will be expected of you. You may well find that the whole thing is not as good a deal as you imagine, because while you are wanting to use the experience to help your Chinese, the family will be expecting you to speak in English all the time and also provide daily lessons to their child and so on.