Chinese-Forums

Thoughts on Flying Swords of Dragon Gate

SumChoi

To be honest, I was disappointed even though I went in with somewhat low expectations. I don't know if it's a pattern with recent Tsui Hark movies but I am finding it very difficult to follow the plot. I had a similar experience with Detective Dee. I am curious how the movie looks in 3D but I wasn't very satisfied with the visuals in the 2D version. I don't mind the use of CG if it's done properly but in this movie it looks awfully fake. These movies can have high budgets but yet have CG that looks like it was dated more than ten years ago. I know the budget pales in comparison to a lot of Hollywood blockbusters but there are many other factors that makes Hollywood films more expensive to produce.

Because I thought the CG wasn't done properly, I wished they would've not employed it in the first place. I honestly prefer wuxia and kungfu movies in the 90s when they relied more on wires, the actual marital arts skills of the actor, and the choreography. I would please me a lot if they can make a back-to-basics wuxia movie.

Anyway, I'd love to hear all your comments on this.

I saw the 3D version in a cinema in Kunming. When they threw daggers and spears that were supposed to be coming out into the audience, nobody ducked or squealed. The 3D didn't add anything.

新龙门客栈 was much, much better, if you'd like to see something older but along the same lines.

Footnote: A couple months ago I went to the studio near Yinchuan (Ningxia) where the latter was filmed. Saw some of the sets for notable scenes. That was a kick. (Yinchuan Huaxia Western Film and Television City.)

post-20301-0-18741700-1340801077_thumb.jpg

Yes, I was a fan of

新龙门客栈

. I miss Brigitte Lin especially her movies with

张国荣

But I'm not saying I want her to return to movies. That probably leave me in disappointment.