Chinese-Forums

China History Podcast by Laszlo Montgomery

xuexiansheng

The Lazlo Sinica episode is worth a listen. Interesting hearing more about the man.

Any other china podcasts worth listening to?

I regularly listen to sinica, china history and BB4 in our time (topic depending).

#21 -- The BBC collection previously mentioned. Not only Melvin Bragg, but some by other narrators, one an exceedingly bright and well informed lady, whose name now slips my mind. Look at the archive on their website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/china

I also like the series by Dan Carlin on the life and times of Genghis Khan:

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive/Show-43---Wrath-of-the-Khans-I/Mongols-Genghis-Chingis

For programs in Chinese, I would recommend

- the 优听 app (available for both iOS and Android), which has various history and cultural recordings (I like 小凤直播 under the 文化杂谈 category). 小凤, the host, has wonderful eclectic tastes. She did a three-hour interview with 石康, the creator of the 奋斗 instance. She's also done interviews with 崔健 and various liberal academics. You can also listen to local radio stations and Phoeneix TV through this app.

- for podcasts available on iTunes, I have been listening to TWFuture 深音网路, 台湾新媒体网路, 坏蛋调频, 一个人的书屋, and 邝南音乐随笔

- Not in Chinese, but "The View from Here" might also be of interest. It's a series of podcast recording of lectures at the Hong Kong Foreign Correspondent Club by reporters and other prominent people passing through HK.

• Like 1

Abcdefg Why have I been reduced to a number? :-)

For some reason I can't access the BBC today from Beijing. Is it "China: As History as my witness" by Carrie Gracie? She was/is the BBC Beijing correspondant. There are a small series of podcasts available about various topics.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

In Lazslo's interview on Sinica he mentioned there being no China history podcast as a reason behind him starting his podcast. Well, i recently found a new China History podcast called...

"The History of China" podcast by Chris Stewart (Steward?)?

The style is different from Chins History in that, to me, it sounds a lot more formal and academic. Like he might be reading from a prepared script rather than just looking at scribbled notes (like I imagine Lazslo to do?!).

Anyway, i downloaded a couple back in the UK. Now I'm in China the download doesn't work so maybe it's blocked. Anyone confirm?

• Like 1

The style is different from Chins History in that, to me, it sounds a lot more formal and academic.

Looks like Chris Stewart is an English teacher in China, not an historian or an academic.

Thanks for the link. I look forward to checking out some of his podcasts.

I see what you mean. Listened to it today, and his delivery is not very captivating.

Plus, from what I can see, there is only one episode in his series. It was posted in November of 2013, entitled "The Mythological Origins of the Middle Kingdom." Seems his project never really got off the ground.

Thanks, @Character. Glad to find that other hosting site.

Agree that he now sounds more polished and less self-conscious. Episode 19 is way better than Episode 1.

I tried to find an email address on his blogspot site and on a few podcast sites... So far no luck.

I'd like to request he move his podcast to somewhere accessable to those in China!!

• 1 month later...

"Selling" Chinese history to the world

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/culture/2014-06/29/c_133446559.htm

"BEIJING, June 29 (Xinhuanet) -- When Steve Temkin launched his ambitious China History Podcast program four years ago, he decided to go by the pseudonym Laszlo Montgomery to avoid embarrassment in case it failed."

[...]