Chinese-Forums

Peacock-孔雀

badatpool

Hello everybody --

I just discovered this forum while doing a Google search about Gu-changwei's Peacock.

I saw the film at the Berlin film festival, and I really loved it. I saw on an earlier post that there was mention of a longer version of the film. The article that it was linked to was only in Chinese, which I neither speak nor read.

Can somebody give me the details of the longer version? Will it likely get released on DVD (and with English subtitles?)

I thing the film is so good, that a longer version can only make it better.

Thank you.

The article that it was linked to was only in Chinese, which I neither speak nor read.

It's just the webpage of online store to tell customer the director's cut DVD - coming soon!

In an interview, Gu Changwei said there were about 240 scenes in the original script but the current one has 132 scenes, about 3 hours. (what I saw was only 2 hours, how about you?)

The most deleted scenes are about younger brother, his homosexual inclination and Violence complex. Actually he is more complicated than his sister, it's pity that the final cut made this character looked feeble. The last part of a film should be more powerful than the first two, but the current version is not like that. All the people who saw the uncut version thought the current one can't satisfy the audience, that's why Gu Changwei will release the director's cut DVD which is much different than theatrical version we watched.

There is a out of topic question, did you find Gu Changwei in the Peacock?

Didn't realize that different length versions were screened theatrically.

Just read that a sequel is already planned:

Cinematographer turned director Gu Changwei is to make a sequel to his last film Peacock, a recent Silver Bear winner at Berlin.

The sequel, Li Chun, which literally means The Beginning of Spring, continues the story of the family from "Peacock" through the late 1980s and 1990s.

The director says plot of the sequel is still gestating and shooting will begin later this year.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-03/10/content_2677925.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
At last,I got the dvd Delamu I ordered from net last week (dangdang.com sucks,I would never order anything from it). This reminds me of a review about Peacock written by Jiangwen, he said there were two Chinese PATIENT films in 2004, one is Delamu (Never watched any films directed by Tian Zhuangzhuang, but I like Tian zhuangzhuang's looking),

Here's an interview with Tian Zhuangzhuang from China Daily:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-06/11/content_338580.htm

"Delamu" is playing at the San Francisco International Film Festival. Should be worth seeing on the big screen.

"Delamu" is playing at the San Francisco International Film Festival. Should be worth seeing on the big screen.

Don't miss it :D ,yeah, it's worthing seeing on the big screen. As I remembered, this film was only shown in several theatres in a few days, so i missed it.

I'm not sure if you got the dvd already, the special feature is interesting too. The soundtrack is great, if you can't buy it, i would like to email you:)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know anything about the new edition of Peacock released last weekend? It's got a tinted photo of the whole family on the cover. I saw it listed at sohu and cnave but can't tell if it's a longer version or not. I'm finally going to see a theatrical screening tonight so I've held off on watching the D-5 Zoke disc (blasted logos! and no English subs, either).

There's also a new edition of Letter From an Unknown Woman out, this time with English subs. (supposedly)

• 2 weeks later...
Don't miss it :D ,yeah, it's worthing seeing on the big screen. As I remembered, this film was only shown in several theatres in a few days, so i missed it.

I just saw "Delamu" last night. You're right about seeing it on the big screen. The beautiful landscape needs to be seen on the big screen to be fully appreciated. I loved the interviews with the local villagers, too.

My friends thought the movie was too slow. Maybe it's a cultural gap. I would guess that the locals aren't used to talking so much at length, so they tended to talk slowly and haltingly. But I appreciated their sincerity. They reaffirmed my belief that people everywhere share the same needs and desires, though their everyday lives may look very different. Of the people we meet in the movie, I especially liked the old woman who kicked her lazy first husband out of the house and married another more capable man, the man who cried when his mule was killed by a falling rock during the journey, and the female school teacher who revealed her "secret" plan of leaving home to find a man who she can talk to and love.