Chinese-Forums

Changing tourist visa to student visa

morningthunder

Having had problems communicating with universities, I would ideally like to head to China on a tourist visa and then change it to a student visa when I decide on which school I want to study at. I am assuming that this is possible to do, so I suppose I want to ask:

Can anyone confirm that I will be able to do this?

Much appreciated if anyone could help out.

Why don't I ask at the embassy?

a) because I'd have to go all the way there to ask and it's a long way!

B) because they'd probably say you can't, but what the Chinese embassy in Britain say and what actually happens in China are probably very different

Yes and no... no, *you* can (in most provinces) not change your visa from tourist to student visa, but... yes, it can be done through the school which you study at. Normally, the school will need to send your PP to the Entry/Exit-Administration together with some paperwork showing that you are a student. Some schools/universities don't seem to be aware that this is possible. If a private school refuses to do this, it is probably not properly authorized for foreign students and should be avoided. There is currently a fee of Y400 for issuing student visas of any length, and you will for stays of more than 6 months normally be required to undergo a medical exam (around Y350 - 500 depending on hospital). From Feb. 1st on, a 居留证 is not required anymore for students as it is replaced by a new residence document only for student residents. No Embassy I know is aware of this.

One more thing: If you have to give your PP to somebody else, which you probably have to do, get a proper receipt for it, as most state-run universities are in a state of chaos and you otherwise run a good chance of never seeing it again...