Chinese-Forums

Writing Manchu In Chinese Characters

1991sudrshan

I am learning Manchu language and I have learned to write the Manchu vertical script . I saw a video in you tube and it has a Manchu subtitle in Chinese script . My question is where can I get the resources for learning Chinese characters for Manchu language ( like Chinese Characters for Japanese with modification to fit that language).

Thank you.

Are you sure that wasn't just Chinese subtitles for non-Manchu speakers to be able to understand what was being said? According to Wikipedia there are fewer than 70 native and semi-speakers of Manchu left. It does say that Chinese characters can be used to write Manchu, but from the description it kind of looks like using Chinese characters to write English (although a bit better).

It is indeed Mandarin, which is indeed written with Chinese characters. :D

I assume you meant Manchu though. No, this is not a transliteration of Manchu using Chinese characters, but a translation into Chinese so that Chinese speakers can know what's being said. There was a way of transliterating Manchu using Chinese characters, and I saw a dictionary of Manchu transliterations into Chinese (Chinese to English, also with the romanized Manchu word) not too long ago, but I can't remember what it was called or where I saw it. Now I'm frustrated.

• Like 1

OneEye

Posted Yesterday, 11:06 PM

It is indeed Mandarin, which is indeed written with Chinese characters. :D

I assume you meant Manchu though. No, this is not a transliteration of Manchu using Chinese characters, but a translation into Chinese so that Chinese speakers can know what's being said. There was a way of transliterating Manchu using Chinese characters, and I saw a dictionary of Manchu transliterations into Chinese (Chinese to English, also with the romanized Manchu word) not too long ago, but I can't remember what it was called or where I saw it. Now I'm frustrated.

Please try hard to remember that book. I though that the Manchus adopted the Chinese characters just like how the Japanese did with the Kanji in their own language.

I though that the Manchus adopted the Chinese characters just like how the Japanese did with the Kanji in their own language.

Not that this is a field I'm especially familiar with, but I've never read anything to that effect. My understanding is that the Manchus generally did adopt Chinese as a language and writing system, although many official documents were still written in Manchu. Actually, scholars are finding that in many instances where there is both a Manchu and a Chinese version of a document, the Manchu document contains additional or differing information, contrary to the older belief that the two were always the same.

Out of curiosity, why are you learning Manchu?

Not that this is a field I'm especially familiar with, but I've never read anything to that effect. My understanding is that the Manchus generally did adopt Chinese as a language and writing system, although many official documents were still written in Manchu. Actually, scholars are finding that in many instances where there is both a Manchu and a Chinese version of a document, the Manchu document contains additional or differing information, contrary to the older belief that the two were always the same.

Out of curiosity, why are you learning Manchu?

I am quite interested in the oriental History and languages. I read in an internet article that there are around 60 tons of records written in Manchu language lying untouched in Harbin province . That Interested me a lot. I hope these Manchu records may contain more informations regarding the Japan , Korea, Jurchens, Khitans, etc

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/17/world/asia/18manchu_side.html?_r=1

So, are you intending to work in this field? I mean, aside from being "quite interested", is this something you're planning on actually doing research on?

Planning to do a research in oriental linguistics studies and Histories after some years. I got to finish my graduation in Engineering first.

OK, well in the meantime you ought to learn Chinese (both Classical and modern). You'll likely also need to learn Japanese and probably Russian and/or German as well. These are the languages that much of the research in Manchu studies is written in, so you'll need to read them in order to keep up with the field. I don't see how a degree in Engineering will be helpful, but of course that's your call.

OK, well in the meantime you ought to learn Chinese (both Classical and modern). You'll likely also need to learn Japanese and probably Russian and/or German as well. These are the languages that much of the research in Manchu studies is written in, so you'll need to read them in order to keep up with the field. I don't see how a degree in Engineering will be helpful, but of course that's your call.

Learning all the Four languages Japanese,Chinese, German and Russian. But I am more interested in Chinese and Japanese Histories. I started of with Engineering and history and language learning are my hobbies. Now quite serious with that. :D .