Chinese-Forums

What about paying with an international debit card?

lorenz

Hi everyone.

I'm moving to Shanghai in one month and I still don't have any bank account here in Italy (I've always used a prepaid card marked with VisaElectron), so I'm going to open a bank account soon. In most offers I'm checking, I may got a debit card (marked cirrus-maestro for the international transactions) included within the account fees, whilst I got to pay some extra fees if I want a credit card.

At this point, since the information sheet of the bank says there isn't any fee using the payment function (both in Italy and abroad), I'd just ask for an international debit card, and I'll use it both to withdraw from ATMs and to pay.

But almost everyone I spoke with (living in China or not) suggested me to ask for both, a credit card (for payments) and an international debit card (to withdraw cash from ATMs).

Is this just because normally using the payment function with a debit card has a higher fee than a credit one (so that it's not my case)?

Or maybe because in China shops, restaurants and so on accept credit cards easier than debit ones?

I haven't found this kind of information on other topics, so I hope someone could help me!

I suggest get a ICBC EURO-RMB credit card. Because normally withdrawing money from credit card, banks will change you 1~3% fee. Only ICBC is free if you do not overdraw the money. And even you overdraw money but if you can deposit money back to make the balance more than 0 before 24:00, it's also free to overdraw.

But if you have to get the card in Italy, ignore my comments.

• Like 1

But almost everyone I spoke with (living in China or not) suggested me to ask for both, a credit card (for payments) and an international debit card (to withdraw cash from ATMs).

Is this just because normally using the payment function with a debit card has a higher fee than a credit one (so that it's not my case)?

Or maybe because in China shops, restaurants and so on accept credit cards easier than debit ones?

A debit card and a credit card will work equally well for withdrawing cash from an ATM here (China.) Sometimes when booking a flight or prepaying a hotel on line with a Chinese travel agent, they will only accept a credit card, not a debit card. If its an international card, there will often be a fee.

Suggest you don't use your card or cards at all in restaurants and shops while in China. Only at ATM's for cash.

The subject of what kind of card to get and what cards have lower fees and so on has been well covered in previous posts.

Suggest you don't use your card or cards at all in restaurants and shops while in China. Only at ATM's for cash

Why do you suggest this? I thought it is better to pay with a card all I can pay with a card so that I don't have to withdraw cash too often (= less fees).

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the older posts again!

#4 -- For several reasons. Smaller restaurants and shops usually don't take any kid of cards, domestic or foreign. Mid-size places will often balk at taking a foreign card, saying their machine won't handle it. At fancy places, where it is accepted, you will usually encounter additional fees, not only a "foreign transaction fee" of 3 to 5 percent, but an undisclosed "currency conversion fee" as well. It's much, much better to carry cash. China is a cash place.

Withdraw cash at the ATM. Use it for daily expenses until you run low and need to get more. If you are going to be here a long time, look into opening a Chinese bank account.

And just remember it pays to have a backup method to at least get some ready cash in an emergency, if like for instance you go to the ATMs at the airport when you first arrive to withdraw some cash, and the ATM eats your card. Speaking from lessons learned the hard way, if you've tried twice and you get a message saying 'incorrect PIN', don't assume it's the ATM that has a problem and try it on another one, because 3 wrong attempts and your card will be gone.

When that happens you'll be very thankful for having some backup method.

• Like 2

#5: Thank you very much. I do know that "China is a cash place", but I thought it was not true for such big cities like Shanghai.

#7: Thank you for the tip. So maybe I can take to China both the ATM card (cirrus-maestro) and the prepaid one (mastercard or visa) in order to have a backup method (on a different network as well).. I think it should be a good back-up, isn't it?

#9 -- Yes, that should be a good plan. Also, before leaving home, be sure to tell your banks (the ones which issued the cards) that you will be using them in China. Otherwise they may freeze the account thinking your card has been stolen the first time you use it in China. The issuing bank's phone number should be on the back of the card.