Chinese-Forums

Life after Matthews

baernard

• New Members

Hi Everyone,

I've been filling my evenings with the Matthews' book Learning Chinese Characters, and have been happily absorbing all the stories of dwarfs, fairies, giants, teddies, and the occasional robot. However, the more I learn, the more I approach the dreaded day when I reach the end of the book, and this leaves me with the question "where do I go next?"

I realise that the standard answer is something like: learn to speak, listen, and construct sentences; but at this stage I really am more interested in learning characters. So, I guess the answer is to find more characters, create my own stories, and continue where the Matthews' left off. However, before I do this, I'd be curious to know if other people took this route, and how it worked out for them..?

Also, is there any indication that there might be a Volume 2? (Other than the first book being called Volume1!)

Many thanks,

Baernard

I contacted the publishers a number of times over the past few years. They always reply that there are no plans for Volume 2.

After about 400 Characters in the Matthews book, I switched to Heisig. See this post here: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/19969-heisig-vs-matthews/

I review characters with Skritter.com

I also started learning HSK Level 1-4 vocab based on the order of the Heisig characters.