Chinese-Forums

Best VPN service for streaming?

peaceck

Hi there,

I'm sure there is a post somewhere on this forum about this but I realise that China is tackling on VPN services so I welcome up-to-date opinions on the matter.

I come from the UK, and I am a big user of youtube, facebook, google, bbc news, streaming sites for football especially :). I also want to keep it cheap :P.

I've heard a lot of about HidemyAss vpn but recently I heard some sketchy information that China is cracking on this service. Not sure, but if anyone whom has used it recently can confirm, that would be great ;'D.

Now down to it... What is the best valued VPN when you consider speed as priority?

Cheers

I recently purchased a subscription to HMA and have been less than impressed. They offer a ton of servers, but many of them seem to not work half the time. The fastest two that I have been able to use have been in Japan, and even these haven't allowed me to download at more than 95kb/s. It's almost enough for YouTb if you can set the video quality to the lowest setting. But even so, buffering is necessary.

All of the American servers are slow, and the fastest ones allow me to download at about 55kb/s, which I consider unacceptable.

• 4 weeks later...

No disrespect, but of the many things I dislike about China, most of which I can tolerate, the one thing that regularly makes my blood boil is the randomness with which websites are blocked, and makes me feel very sorry for the Chinese. Obviously the monkeys running this country are either to old or too greedy, or both.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I like http://www.expressvpn.biz , I've been using them for a while now. Though keep their email address on hand in case their domain ever gets blocked. It happened once before and I sent them an email and they sent me their new address. Their support is pretty fast.

I push the internet pretty hard and have had a pretty good experience.

Singapore is the best option for watching youtube, though I use Hong Kong most of the time.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • New Members

I've been using Witopia and HMA, two supposedly top VPN providers. Results were good until last October, when the VPN clampdown intensified. Both are now sporadic. They work about as well as the free VPN Gate service.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else using a VPN in China that they seem to like?

I have been using VPNinja for the past few months but I can't open their website at the moment, I was planning on renewing my subcription. I also tried to take a look at StrongVPN but I can't access their website either.

I'm trying a one week free Astrill trial now. It works fine on iOS and Mac. My only gripe is the lowest monthly plan is three months, I usually like to pay one month at a time. But so far smooth sailing.

Looks like VPNinja's website is back up.

• 2 months later...

Use SenVPN.  There's a free trial.

Their HK and US VPN nodes are pretty fast for streaming when access from Shanghai and Guangzhou.  Have not tried from Beijing.  That's the thing with China's internet... it could work very well in once city and not in another.  Have to test it out yourself.

• 1 year later...