Chinese-Forums

How many words to be known by beginner and elementary level Chinese learner?

Jamuna

according to the <<Chinese Express>>, there are 530 works for a beginner course. there are 1000 works in <<Boya Chinese>> elementary level. <<Chinese Express>> is very popular for English speakers to learn Mandarin, and <<Boya Chinese>> is used in university for learning Mandarin.

Have to agree with OneEye.

All you really need to know is you will aways find there is more to learn, this is one of the reasons I learn Chinese cos its a lifelong undertaking and should keep me busy for the rest of my life. :)

I don't worry too much about lables, you know what you know and as long as you know there is more to know you will be ok.

Good luck

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

But...that was a joke, right? I mean, look at what CEFR C2 is supposed to look like:

• Can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read.
  • Can summarise information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation.
  • Can express him/herself spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations.

source

5000 words will get you there? Then what the hell am I doing wrong?

HSK lists cover core vocabulary only. With 5000 words only, you have no chance in hell at passing HSK6, let alone a more stringent C2 test.*

* There are many people doubting the equivalence of the new HSK6 and the CEFR C2.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting thread here.

A few points I'd like to share and ask.

The old HSK defines Beginner as 1000 words (800 characters), Elementary as 3000 words (1600 characters), I think that's a fair estimate?

c_redman, I took your tests here: http://www.zhtoolkit.com/posts/2011/06/skill-levels-quantified/

and scored about 9000 words and 1500 characters. From my own estimates, it's more like 5000-6000 words and 2000-2200 characters, so the tests need some fine-tuning. Perhaps the more advanced groups of words need more words tested to give a more exact percentage?

OneEye, you say you know 12-15 000 words, is this measured using c_redman's tool or your own estimates? My interest is to find out how many words are required to read newspapers. I am not able to read them yet, unless I am heavily armed with a dictionary and that can hardly be qualified as reading.

My interest is to find out how many words are required to read newspapers.

I would say about 10,000 words give or take one or two thousand depending on the newspaper, the topic material, and the focus of your vocabulary acquisition.

By that last point, I mean that if you learn another 4,000 words on top of what you already know but those words are not all that relevant to what you might read in a newspaper, then you'll still find you have trouble.

Funnily enough, the best way to know what words you're likely to come across in a newspaper is to read newspapers. Which seems a bit chicken and egg, but you'll find that as long as you are learning the unknown words then as time goes by you'll be able to understand more and more, and by definition, you'll also be learning words you are likely to come across in newspapers.

Note: at first, it's probably good to limit yourself to a given number of new words a day and then stop, rather than try to learn all new words in an article.

• Like 2

OneEye, you say you know 12-15 000 words, is this measured using c_redman's tool or your own estimates? My interest is to find out how many words are required to read newspapers. I am not able to read them yet, unless I am heavily armed with a dictionary and that can hardly be qualified as reading.

That was my own estimate. I just took c_redman's test out of curiosity, and it tells me about 17,000 words and 3000 characters, which puts me squarely in c_redman's high-intermediate category. That's how I would have categorized myself if asked, too.

I haven't spent a whole lot of time reading newspapers, especially recently, so I'm not as comfortable reading them as I am with, say, books on early Chinese phonology (which I've been reading a lot of lately). Over the summer I read a decent number of recent newspaper articles for class, so I have no doubt that if I focused on that for a while it would come back quickly.

I would strongly recommend paying attention to imron's advice if reading newspapers is your goal. Of course, it can be applied to anything you may want to read. Do some every day, even if it's only a little, and it will get easier.

• 1 month later...

There are different stages to being a beginner. In my experience of my first year learning Japanese... there we're roughly 3 important milestones in terms of vocabulary during that year.

First: the first 500 words.

Second: the first 1000 words.

Third: the first 2500 words.

At each one of those milestones I noticed significant changes in my comprehension (obviously). After the 2500 word mark you start to drift into the intermediate category. Then I noticed every 2500 ~ 3000 words after that I felt brought me up to the next level. So at roughly 5000 and 7500 and 10,000 I really felt big changes.

In terms of where you should aim as a beginner, for me the first 1000 words is really key. If you can nail the first 1000 then you are well on your way to having established the foundations of the language. After that it starts to get easier because sentences start to contain more known words than unknown words which makes acquiring new vocab that much easier.

• Like 1

I would be nice if there was a list somewhere of the most ferquently used words in Chinese (or any target language) for that matter. I have an app on my andorid that ranks the characters, however I am unsure what methodoly was used for the ranking.

I would be nice if there was a list somewhere of the most ferquently used words in Chinese (or any target language) for that matter. I have an app on my andorid that ranks the characters, however I am unsure what methodoly was used for the ranking.

The HSK vocabulary lists are based on frequency and importance. They are not ranked, but are grouped into levels. It's probably the best thing around, and old lists have about 9000 words, which is plenty to get your started.

The HSK vocabulary lists are based on frequency and importance. They are not ranked, but are grouped into levels. It's probably the best thing around, and old lists have about 9000 words, which is plenty to get your started.

Thanks for the tip. I real challenge is learning how to use the words, as opposed to just learning the words themselves.