Chinese-Forums

Advice from anyone on Travel Health Insurance

Wayne.liao

Hi there, I am from Canada, and plan to visit Beijing at the end of February, and plan on staying for 2 years. I need advice on where, if any to purchase health insurance, or how foreigners deal with seriousillness.

Any suggestion will greatly appreciated. I may not be able to reply back, but i will be checking for any post. Thanks

Hi There,

I am also a Canadian going to China. The cheapest insurance I have been able to find is through travel CUTS ($174 for trip cancellation and medical coverage). The insurance offered by Tai Pan Travel is also good ($1.10 per day for medical only). However, I'm only going for three months, so perhaps it is different for a two year stay.

Hope this helps,

kent

I have some similar problem, the travel insurance in Hong Kong (my home) is usually valid for 180 days, that's too short. From a travel forum some people recommended World Nomads, I haven't tried it yet, but you can get an immediate quote from their website. http://www.worldnomad.com/

Check their very small prints (downloaded as PDF), they have some funny policies about stolen items...

Sorry for making so many replies. Anyway, after reading this thread, I'm checking more seriously the price of World Nomads, the funny thing is that they charge more and more after each consecutive months.

For Canadian, the price is...

Worldwide, excluding USA & Japan

Duration Single Family

2 weeks CAD $74 CAD $139

3 weeks CAD $94 CAD $177

4 weeks CAD $114 CAD $219

5 weeks CAD $125 CAD $240

6 weeks CAD $148 CAD $285

7 weeks CAD $170 CAD $330

3 months CAD $198 CAD $386

2 months CAD $181 CAD $351

4 months CAD $224 CAD $438

5 months CAD $252 CAD $494

6 months CAD $294 CAD $578

7 months CAD $313 CAD $616

8 months CAD $343 CAD $675

9 months CAD $386 CAD $762

10 months CAD $402 CAD $794

11 months CAD $451 CAD $891

12 months CAD $485 CAD $961

13 months CAD $579 CAD $1,149

14 months CAD $651 CAD $1,292

15 months CAD $759 CAD $1,508

16 months CAD $867 CAD $1,723

17 months CAD $975 CAD $1,939

18 months CAD $1,084 CAD $2,159

So now let's make a simple calculations.

A 6-month policy (single) is CAD $294, and a 12-month policy is CAD $485. So obviously it's cheaper to buy a 12-month policy.

But a 7-month policy is $313, 14-month costs US$651.

So if you want to be away for 14 months, isn't it cheaper to buy two 7 months policy (in case the price won't change after 7 months...).

I don't know.

When I traveled in mainland China for six weeks a few years ago, my doctor suggested I carry two hypodermic needles because the ones used in many hospitals and clinics are re-used. I don't know if this is true, but you may want to consider it. Enjoy your visit; I certainly did.

Hi Pazu:

Thank ou for checking in, this information is definately come in handy, I was also advised by other people that for people travel in China for a period of time should get some vaccine shots for managitis, hepatitis-A, Typhoid as a pre-caution. I will get those shots, its better be safe than sorry later.

Hi Scholar rock:

That was correct that the doctor use re-usable needles, and your doctor was right to suggest that. However, I think that may be a bit extreme to carry needles. Especially now, when security is so strict at the airport, the needles may be consider as weapon..LOL you never know..