Chinese-Forums

Emperor Jiajing and Lei Gong

advoca

The Jiajing emperor was a devout Daoist and was very superstitious. He associated himself closely with the god of thunder, Lei Gong, and had a temple built to him inside the Forbidden City around 1545 (there is some variation in the records as to the exact date), so that sacrifices and prayers could be offered to him. There was also a proposal by the Daoist Patriarch to erect similar temples throughout the land, a proposal that caused a great deal of controversy because of the expense.

Is there anyone who could kindly give me any further information, or advise me where I could get it, please. I need this for a book I am writing.

(According to Dictionary of Ming Biography. P 1267, Tao Chung-wen, a Taoist priest, tried to persuade the emperor to construct altars to the god of thunder “throughout the land,” and he arranged for the construction of a hall of “the thunder-god, who protects the state and enriches the people,” built in 1542, and the emperor resided there in 1543. In 1547 Tao was given permission to initiate 24,000 followers as Taoist priests.)

Any further information on this hall, and where it was, would also be appreciated.