Chinese-Forums

Returning from a journey

abcdefg

I'm asking about 接风, in the context of “接风洗尘”。

Not really sure if this is Classical Chinese or not. Was told it meant to welcome someone back after a long journey; to offer a reception meal.

Was told it was often shortened to 接风。 Was further told it was often used in a sentence like this: 我为你接风 or 我为你接风洗尘。I have no idea why 为 is used as the verb, and guessed it might be a famous historical or literary quote.

Without any real verification, I stupidly sent it as a text message to a Chinese lady friend who is on a long business trip, thinking it might be a clever or funny way to say "when you get back I'll take you to dinner."

But she seems to have not understood it and was mildly miffed. Perhaps she took it as overly personal and suggestive; maybe even thought I was offering to give her a bath. I don't really know what she thought, but the text was not a winner.

So now I'm asking what I should have asked *before* using the phrase. What are its connotations and how is it best employed (if at all?)

Seems I always get in trouble when deviating from simple ways of saying things for the sake of being clever or funny. (There is a lesson in that which I need to take to heart. )

I think 洗塵 is common enough over here, more common than 接風 I would say. Perhaps in other regions it is different.

PS - but really, even I would not use these terms when I communicate with my friends. I think I would just say 很久沒見,大家出來見個面/吃個飯 or something like that.

This year my classes have used the Boya intermediate textbooks and my teachers have been trying to get me up to speed with 书面 language. I'm not very good at it.

Several times with several different people I've gotten odd looks when I tried to use "bookish" phrases I'd learned in class. At least when this happens face to face with my friends I can explain and sort it out.

The lady in question basically said, "Why don't you just say what you mean, instead of trying to be literary." A valid comment. Probably better to stick to straight forward vernacular when sending text messages, in keeping with Skylee's comment in #4 above.

Thanks to all for the input. If I ever use this phrase again, I'll just use the first part (接风) without the last bit (洗尘.)