Chinese-Forums

Winter in Beijing

hans.castorp

Vodka can also be helpful in terms of warming you up...

Very bad advice. You won't feel psychologically better when you are dead.

When I lived in Moscow, almost every day I read reports of people dying from hypothermia after drinking vodka. It got so bad that Gorbachev banned vodka sales for a while.

Here's another vote for long thermal underwear. I really feel the cold. Fancy "miracle fiber" fabric? Well, I sometimes saw sold on the streets and in the cheaper bazaars, long underwear that was made of knitted yarn. I loved mine. Like a sweater for your legs that you wear inside your clothes! And of course I also had long undershirts.

If you enter China via Hong Kong, you can buy China-made winter clothing there - especially in the Chinese-style departments stores rather than the modern ones. I got my down jacket there before heading for Beijing. But I wouldn't buy a down jacket just for a two week trip.

Other things I had in Beijing were leather gloves (you can get them with fur or other warm lining inside) and thick warm insoles you can buy to put inside your shoe to protect yourself from the freezing ground. (I also had a fur hat with ear flaps from a previous trip to Europe.)

And it's true about the extreme dryness, so you should have some moisturizer. If you've stayed in Beijing before, you may have heard that it's a place where it's so dry that the ice outside doesn't melt but just evaporates straight into the dry air - a case of H20 sublimation?? I remember I had some tangerines in my room. After a couple of days, they still looked orange in color, but the outside peel was parched like Egyptian mummy skin, and I could not remove the peel at all - it was mummified and stuck to the fruit! Now imagine what happens to your skin...

• 1 month later...

yesterday we made -14 with a nice breeze straight from Siberia. All the advice above is very useful, but in that case the only thing I found to work was to run into the next bar and drink a lot of beer.

• Like 1

Well if it makes you feel better, it hit 41 degrees today in Melbourne. (Celcius)
How is this supposed to make us feel better?? Give me 41 degrees over minus-anything anytime.

Everyone is right about the longjohns, do get those. As to handwarmers, a colleague of mine would buy xiaolongbao for that. Two in separate bags in his pockets and his hands were kept warm for a while. Only one kuai and they can be eaten once they cool down a bit.

It was -16 this morning apparently.
Well if it makes you feel better, it hit 41 degrees today in Melbourne. (Celcius)

Luckily zhouhaochen's suggestion of:

run into the next bar and drink a lot of beer.

Will help with both of these, and with all of life's other problems!!! :)

Can't believe I never thought of the Xiaolongbao trick. Although there was one Beijing winter I pretty much got all my calories from McD's hot chocolate - very drinkable, and you get something hot to hold. And by the time you've finished it - look, you're passing another McDonald's.

• Like 1

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/06/world/asia/travel-disrupted-in-china-amid-unusually-cold-weather.html?_r=0

according to the NY Times it is China's coldest winter in 40 years. How cold I do not know, as they give all temperatures in Fahrenheit which are just random numbers to me.

Fittingly it got warmer in Beijing today. Even more, it is boiling in my apartment, even with all heaters switched off, I assume the guys downstairs started a private sauna in their living room.

The weather is absolutely fantastic in winter! Sonetimes it reached -12/-14 but actualy is a dry cold and not humid so you will not have many problems and you'll get used to veru fast! Consider that i come from italy. Damn I love so much the cold!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-china-20998147

Pollution levels (small particles) today : 400 says the trustworthy government, 800 according to those stirring Americans.

Edit: Some photos (obviously, if you're already in Beijing this isn't so exciting, but it's probably safer to see Beijing online than actually step outside at the moment).

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-21005228

Edited by adrianlondon

I don't think I've ever seen it so bad (in 2+ years here). I can actually smell the air as I go outside. It's in the Chinese media too, but I wonder why it suddenly is so bad. Does anyone know?

I don't think I've ever seen it so bad (in 2+ years here). I can actually smell the air as I go outside. It's in the Chinese media too, but I wonder why it suddenly is so bad. Does anyone know?

More people use coal for home heating in the winter (e.g. Rural farmers in Hebei), which supposedly accounts for just under half of the air pollution. I've read that in the winter it's more likely for a high pressure system to occur, which keeps most of what is being generated at ground level near ground level, and if there is no wind for a few days it will just build up...

• 2 weeks later...