Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2013 American/EU Applicants

Brian US

@OOPRCT

I think you still need letters of recommendation. At least when I applied for the EU Window language scholarship, I attached two of them, and on the application form there is a box you have to tick (Two Letters of Recommendation).

For diploma, you should attach your highest diploma. If you are an undergraduate student, attach your high school diploma :)

@OOPRCT

What zhangkairong said, but it also wouldn't hurt if you attached your latest university transcripts.

@smossey88

Just send in one application. Don't know many PhD applicants, but the ones I know from Renmin University, they made it seem it was easy to get since so few people apply.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, if I somehow end up with a CSC Scholarship, it'll be because of this thread. It's been an immense help so far. I'm an American currently "teaching" in China, and I plan to apply to Tsinghua's intensive language program (进修课) for the upcoming fall and spring semesters.

About the recommendation letters: From the beginning of this thread it doesn't seem like I need to include any recommendation letters in my application, but according to the requirements linked there, anyone applying for postgraduate studies or intending to study as a "senior scholar" needs two letters from professors or associate professors. I majored in Chinese in college and have continued my studies on my own for the last year and a half here in China, so if I'm accepted into Tsinghua I'd definitely be taking advanced-level classes. Does anyone know if Tsinghua's intensive language program would fall under either of those two categories?

For the sake of convenience I was originally planning to ask two of my friends here (one is the owner of the English school I work at and former private Chinese tutor, the other is my current tutor) to provide me with these letters, but if they need to be written by professors I guess I'll have to contact my former Chinese professors in the US.

One more thing. I read above that there aren't many scholarships provided for Tsinghua. Tsinghua's my first choice, although I'll probably apply to one or two other schools (like Beida) because I really need a scholarship to study here. Does anyone have a vague idea of the chances of receiving the scholarship for Tsinghua? I'm not asking for recommendations of which school to apply to, just some simple advice.

Thanks!

@ Zac I'm not as knowledgable as Brian on these matters, but from what I have read you do not need letters of reccomendation for the Chinese Language studies only. However, if you can get a hold of a couple letters I doubt it would hurt your chances and it could potentially help you, but I don't think anyone can confirm that. Could do nothing, but then you haven't lost anything :)

As for your second question, put Tsinghua and two others you may want to attend. I made the mistake of only putting one down on my application last year, and I got that specific school but with 1/2 funding :( They may give you the scholarship at any school, and it really is up to them. This may be where a small personal statement shines in showing why Tsinghua is where you want to be.

P.S. I would like to pick your brain for advice teaching in China sometime if you don't mind. If thing's do not work well with the scholarship, I would like to start doing that. Any help/advice you have would be awesome.

@smossey88:

Thanks, I'll see if I need recommendation letters for the Confucius Institute scholarship. If that's the case, maybe I can just ask my professors to provide me with two copies of each letter.

I'd be glad to give you some advice about teaching English in China. I'm not sure what kind of level you want to teach at, but I've spent three semesters teaching at the same university, and beginning with this fall I also picked up some part-time work teaching kids aged 4-12.

I'd PM you my email address but I'm not exactly sure how to do it...

• New Members

Hi guys!

First off, the only instructive information I've managed to get about this scholorship is from this forum, so thanks for that! I've pretty much got my application sorted and ready to send off, but there are a few questions left...

1) I need to get a medical examination and it says to use a foreigner physical examination form, seemingly instruction as to how detailed the examination should be, but I can't find a link to this form that works. Has anyone got a copy, or can direct me to it?

2) I noticed recently, having spent so much time on this already, that the EU instruction says language students should be under the age of 25... I literally just turned 25 this January, so do you think it affects my application? How strict a rule is it? :s

3) (and perhaps most imporant!) I just want to clarify the address to which I'm supposed to send all this, since i haven't actually found an official place it's listed. This is the one I have: Boulevard de la Woluwe 100, 1200 Brussels, Belgium.

Is it correct? Should it be addressed to a person or department in particular? I hope that after all this effort it actually arrives!

Thanks in advance!

Sarah :)

I'm applying for language student only, so should I fill out the same date duration for Major? Also, does it matter what paper I print the application on?

Just put language studies or something for major and the dates. Paper doesn't matter as long as it's not pink construction paper or something like that.

I was also wondering if I could get a guarantor?

Yes.

Does anyone have a vague idea of the chances of receiving the scholarship for Tsinghua?

Slim, never met someone with a scholarship to Tsinghua since I think they pay out of their pocket.

2) I noticed recently, having spent so much time on this already, that the EU instruction says language students should be under the age of 25... I literally just turned 25 this January, so do you think it affects my application? How strict a rule is it? :s

Might be problematic, but you can try applying anyway since the CSC doesn't really have their act together and any standardized application process.

• New Members

The deadline for the Netherlands is 1st of February and we have to apply through nuffic, which will in turn sent the documents to the Chinese Embassy.

More info here: http://www.wilweg.nl/financiering/beurzen/china-programma/aanvragen-beurs

Does the EU window also give scholarships to 3 year master students? Or only one year language students?

Hi guys, would also like to ask a question concerning the application for a csc scholarship. I´m a german student who wants to apply for a master´s program in China in 2013. At the moment i try to collect all required documents, but some points aren´t clear for me

I got some questions left about the Foreigner Physical Examination Form...

First of all i guess that any german hospital will be able to perform the required examinations...or did you just visit your local doctor ?

Moreover, some points of the form aren´t clear for me :

1. chest X-ray exam .. what should the doctor write there.. just "normal" and do i have to keep the x-ray report ?

2. Laboratory exam (attached test report of AIDS, Syphilis etc)...same question..

3. ECG.. guess in this field "normal" should also be enough probably

Maybe some of you already did this examination in their home country and can describe me what their doctors put in there..because i have no idea how often the doctors here had to deal with this kind of examination form^^

Thanks for any kind of help or advice

If I'm from the UK do I just send everything to the Chinese Embassy in London?

Try contacting the Chinese embassy first, because my understanding from prior years is that they only offer scholarships through the Confucius Institute for British citizens.

First of all i guess that any german hospital will be able to perform the required examinations...or did you just visit your local doctor ?

I'm pretty sure you can just "wing it" and have the doctor fill it out the best they can. I did all mine in the States, and once I got to China it was all redone anyways.

My doctor just stamped the last page where it asked for the stamp when I received the Confucius Institute Scholarship last year. Do you think they'll be stricter with this scholarship?

No, should be fine.

• Like 1