Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2013 American/EU Applicants

Brian US

@Haruka

1. From the CSC website: "Dispatching authorities for Chinese Government Scholarship Programs are as follows: Embassies (Consulate-General) of P. R. China in foreign countries, Embassies of foreign countries in China, Regional education departments, Chinese higher education institutions (Chinese HEIs), and Other relevant educational institutions." So I assume writing down the agency number for Sun Yat Sen will do just fine.

2. From the CSC website: "Please select the appropriate time to take medical examination as it is valid for only 6 months."

3. Recommendation letters are not required as a language student applicant, but at the same time it wouldn't hurt to include them. As far as what the letter needs to contain/say, I'm sure your standard, cookie-cutter recommendation letter will suffice.

I'm trying to get my CSC application in as soon as possible at this point, but when I went in to the health services center at my school today, they could not decide what needed to be done based on the foreigner physical exam form. They were particularly confused about the blood work section and what kind of tests need to be done. The form specifies "AIDS, syphilis, ect." which is really vague. The nurse also thought it was strange that STD testing is required, but no other routine blood work specific instructions are given. She also wasn't sure why I need a chest x ray and an ECC done. Has anyone else encountered this problem? What specific things are required for the application?

Also, if anyone has a link to the most up to date foreigner physical exam form that would be great. I just want to make sure I'm using the right one. Thanks!

Please answer to me, in order to apply online on BLCU university, I need to translate into english the documents I need to upload? like the latest diploma? And if i have to translate into english, i have to notarize it too? It's originally in Romanian language

Hello.

Firstly, I want to say a big thanks to the people responsible for this forum. It has been a massive help.

I have searched the forums and cannot find the answer to the following questions:

1) Re: the Statement of Intent, has anyone written it in Chinese before? I'd imagine that this wouldn't count against me. I'm hoping that it will help to reinforce my claims in the Statement of Intent.

I recently passed HSK Level 5 and want to go back to Beijing to study for a further year so that I can take HSK Level 6. I am planning to write about how I wish to continue my studies etc etc. Is this similar to what other people have written in the past?

2) When getting my degree certificate and transcripts notarised, do they need an Apostille?

Thanks in advance.

James, UK

Hi James:

I have graduated in the UK as well and was wondering about an apostille, too. I decided to send it without it and we shall see what happens. I mean in general I am not sure what they mean by saying a notarized photocopy but my assumption is that since you're sending a photocopy and not an original document they need something to make sure that the photocopy is true. So, basically what I did was I went to the UK embassy (I am currently not in the UK) and got a stamp from consul that says: "I certify this to be a true copy of the original as seen by me, signed...etc."

I don't know if that's what they need but the reason I got to this assumption is that apostille is a "legalization" of the document and not a notarization. I think legalization of the document should be needed after you pass the initial stage. However, if you decide to get an apostille I have to warn you it might take some time as you're dealing with the FCO.

hi i am applying to the csc scholarship i have a questions need to be answered

1- is it important to put a name of guarantor

2- after the contact in china there is a family info is it for my family or is it about if i have family in china

3- do i have to send the xray along with the medical examination or i just send the filled physical exam form

4- i am applying for master degree in dentistry and i put clinical stomatology is it mean general coz i want to choose an exact field and the put only clinical stomatology can i choose after i have been accepted

5- the airfare is on me or what?

@Firashk

1 - Guarantor is not necessary, but it can't do any harm either

2 - About your family

3 - Foreigner Physical Examination Form is a must, but attach the report of your chest x-ray (picture is not necessary) and blood test

4 - I don't have a clue about this one

5 - Of course, CSC won't pay your plane ticket...

FYI:

I spoke to Mr Chen Gong at the Mission of China to the EU when I handed in my application. He saw that I had an acceptance letter to study Mandarin Chinese at a university and remarked that this will greatly increase ones chances of getting the scholarship.

Then he saw I was from the UK and kind of remarked "Ohhh...you are from the UK" in a manner that basically sounded like "good luck mate". I've read the posts on here for 1/2 years now and gather that the EU window rarely gives UK applicants a scholarship. Apparently one reason is that the UK does not extend similar scholarships to China to the extent that say France or Germany do. Dam you UK!

Anyway main point of this post: include an acceptance letter if you can. (+ Mr Gong mentioned the results should be out in May 2013. I doubt this though, looking at last year it seems it was delayed and more like June/July.

Best of luck guys. :D

Hi bagpipes1000.

That sounds ominous for us UK folk. Did you only put down one school on your application form then?

I'm now weighing up whether I have enough time to apply to my 1st choice school and receive a letter of admittance before the deadline!

@djandrews70

Yes the Brits never seem to fare well with this scholarship. You can apply to the Chinese embassy in the UK but I think most of the scholarships in the UK are allocated to those recommended by their Confucius institutes or those applying through their university.

Us Brits are EU citizens - for now! - so why not apply for the EU window? They have doubled the number of scholarships to 200 so lets see. But it does seem they prefer to hand them out to Central Eastern Europeans. Just take a look at the kind of names here: http://www.chinamission.be/eng/lxzg/ofzz/t950460.htm

It shouldn't take more than 7 days to get an admission letter emailed to you. And the EU deadline is April 30th, so you have time.

@bagpipes1000

I spoke with BFSU and they have said that they can't process any applications until next month, therefore I should apply for the scholarship without an acceptance letter. I guess all other people applying to BFSU will be in the same boat. I'm keeping all my fingers and toes crossed as I studied at BFSU for a year last year and got on really well. I also have to recommendation letters from teachers there. Don't think I can do much more to improve my application. Hopefully being a Brit doesn't cause us to fall at the first stage of selection!

Best of luck to you as well.

• Like 1

Next problem..........

Went to the post office to send everything yesterday and was informed that the UK post office no longer does 'international reply/postage coupons' and they were at a loss of what alternatives to suggest. Sent an email to Gary Chen today, but he has yet to get back to me. Has anyone else from the UK encountered this problem?

@djandrews70

Strange, I just got a pre-acceptance letter from BFSU. Maybe they will only process your application after you already have the scholarship. Any chance you can give me some info on BFSU? I am planning to go there start Fall 2014 semester. Thanks!

Hi guys!

So I am applying for the EU window scholarship. Only found out yesterday (from this thread) that the deadline hadnt passed and that I could apply to the EU although Im from the UK. I am currently in China and I have to send my documents to Brussels (I hope chinese postal service is on my side). Just wanted to confirm the docs I need to submit:

study plan x2

2 references

application form x2

medical form x2

transcript x2

Admission notice x2

Also, they want a prepaid self addressed envelope? Currently living in a small city in China so this might be a problem. Do you think it will harm me if I ommit it if Im not able to get a hold of it. I am literally running against the clock to make sure the package gets there in time.

Is that all? Thanks