Chinese-Forums

Jobs for native speakers question

mramsterdam

I was looking for a job as a Dutch native and i found some jobopenings where they are looking for Dutch natives. Usually these are jobs at IT related companies for working on the Dutch part of the website (Software testing, tranlations for Microsoft, Facebookapps etc.)

I was wondering if anybody has experience working for those companies and what kind of pay you can expect there?

Thanks

I'm interested in this as well. I'd like to know 'genuine' these "Norwegian/German/Dutch/Swahili/etc. native speakers wanted, no special skills required" kind of ads are.

Also, it seems these jobs usually won't provide you a work visa, which practically makes taking up these jobs illegal and risky (visa wise), right? There must be people here with some experience with these kind of vacancies?

Sounds like a bit of scam to me. Did you find these "jobopenings" on the internet? If so, where?

Why would Microsoft translations be done in China? Or Facebook's?

Makes no sense.

I dont think its a scam. Many big it companies work from China. Their entire maintenance of theirt websites is outsourced to chinese companies. I know for a fact that the entire Paypal website is maintained and checked in Beijing. I used to know a guy who worked on the Dutch section of the site over there. So it does makes sense i guess, also the foreigner working there make less money then they would do in their own country.

Hope somebody knows somebody doing this kind of job and know a bit more.

I used to know a couple of people doing that kind of job, too (at least one of them also for Paypal). Pay wasn't spectacular (could have been RMB 5,000, but I'm really not sure about that anymore), but they were proper jobs.

There are the job scams you find anywhere - "guaranteed jobs, send $50 to register" - at work in China, so if it looks wrong, it's probably wrong. But there are a million and one tech firms working on mobile apps, gaming, social network apps and so on that need localisation done - the jobs do exist.

Thanks for the replies guys. Still hoping to find out what these jobs will pay. Im looking for a job in Beijing and dont have any specific skills besides a Masters Degree in media. Also dont want a teaching job. Any suggestions? Oh I dont speak Mandarin...

• 4 weeks later...

There are definitely a lot of legitime jobs around in China for native speakers of a variety of languages. We work with a number of companies that do software, games etc. localisation from China and need speakers of different languages to translate and localise those.

If the ones you looked at are genuine, I dont know. But these jobs do exist.

I guess I am stating the obvious, but what about sending them an email and ask? If you are not in China, start with a Skype interview. If you are, well then go to the real interview.

If someone asks you to pay for a job, well probably you should for another one.

• 1 month later...