Chinese-Forums

Visa: the phone was answered, but...

Dan Bang

The impossible happened today when a person actually answered the phone at the Chinese Embassy. Though his English was disjointed I managed to get an answer to some of my questions. However, there are still some things that I need to have explained. As I could understand from what he said, it is not possible to combine “study and travel” when you apply for a visa – just as a kind soul stressed in his reply to me on this board.

My thoughts are the following: my admission notice is valid from March 31st to June 22nd. I’m thinking of travelling around in China, looking for a job or perhaps finding another place to study after the time at BLCU. But what would be wisest of me when I apply for a visa before I leave for China: to apply for a tourist visa and then hope that it could be extended when the admission notice “expires”? Or to apply for a study visa and then try to have it converted into a tourist visa when the admission notice “expires”? Anyone who has experiences in that direction? And in relation to this, would it be seen as an attempt to push it too far if I wrote for instance 6 months in the “duration of each stay”-box in spite that my admission notice only is valid to June 22nd? Must “the duration of each stay” be in accordance with the admission notice? Any suggestions for what to do in my case?

And is it true that the local police determine the length of your visa after you arrived to China? Or is it only if you have applied for a X-visa and the like?