Chinese-Forums

proof of 2 yrs teaching experience to get work permit?

mctrigger

In regards to getting a Z visa and then work permit-- I've read here and there about a two year minimum req. for related work experience (teaching in my case) which must be submitted in the form of some type of stamped document to get a new hire a work permit.....My situation is a little different b/c I have experience teaching, but have only recently graduated university (I went back home to finally get my degree after many years working). I'm American, in my 30s by the way. So I don't actually have two years "post graduation" teaching experience...Additionally, while on a student visa last year, I taught English on a temp/part time basis at a large chain school in China. This is something I had to do in order to afford the costs of participating in a study abroad program in China..I am now considering going back to China to teach on a proper Z visa sponsored by the school (most likely a public university). Of course, I want a potential employer to know that I already have experience in and familiarity with China. On the other hand I don’t want this to cause problems when they have to list my work experience when applying for a work permit on my behalf. Obviously when submitting my resume I could simply omit my part time teaching experience in China or redefine my status as ‘intern’ or ‘trainee’ at that school…Any suggestions? Thanks for taking the time to read it all!

It's pure nonsense. I started working here on a legal Z-visa with 0 years experience, and I've met plenty of people that did the same.

Many (most?) laws and regulations in China are not applied to the letter, and 'legal' and 'illegal' are, in effect, a continuum in China rather than the black-and-white they are in other countries.

It might depend where you want to go too. I worked firmly off the tourist trail, in a small city, in the middle the desert. The rules are more relaxed there so they can attract foreign teachers.

I wouldn't worry about it though. When I got my first job I didn't have the required two years teaching experience and didn't have any problems.

• Like 1

I should probably start with 'Hi all':) as it's my first post here:D.

There may be higher requirements for working in the public university but still I don't think you should omit anything on your CV, especially if you have experience working for a good school. If they like you they will make sure you get the permit. Things work differently in every province so I wouldn't worry about it beforehand. Just make sure it states clearly in the contract that it's their responsibility to provide you with the visa and permit.

I was in a similar situation before when I worked in Zhejiang. The only proof required was the translated CV where I put all the part time work I did in China as well as some private tutoring in my home country (no letters) and got the permit without any problems. .

Speaking from my experience the smaller the place the bigger the problem;). The fewer foreigners the more things are done by the book.

"Speaking from my experience the smaller the place the bigger the problem;). The fewer foreigners the more things are done by the book." Kaxia

Really? I've found this the complete opposite. Both for work and travel (visa renewals).

Out of curiosity, where did you have trouble? and what trouble?

:)

Well, I'm not really surprised your experience differs from mine. I think that's standard for China :wink:

So, the unlucky province was... Hunan.

I lived quite trouble-free in Fujian and Guangdong before. But my friend got this idea about experiencing the 'genuine' or sth. :lol: so I followed her. First week we were at the local police 3-4 times and the only thing they did was look trough our passports and look and look... first page to last and first again... and stare of course ...a lot. Finally they told us all the documents (including our passports!)must be sent to Changsha which took several weeks. In the meantime it turned out we need to go to Changsha too... twice! Finally, the documents came back and it turned out my friend must go to her home country for visa instead of HK (where I went) which we never got clear reason for. They said it had something to do with her being from East European country but she never had such problems before ...or after.

Well, you can imagine it was quite awful for her... and the school as it was already the middle of the semester.

It actually was a good thing they took our passports though, cause the place turned out to be famous for hellishly spicy food which I did learn to like in the end ... after a few weeks when I finally got feeling back in my mouth :mrgreen:

I heard they change the regulations quite frequently and there are not strict rules.

You heard wrong. The regulations do not often change. What changes is how willing or unwilling they are to apply them. This depends on the wind direction, how much baijiu they drank the night before, how the chicken entrails land etc.

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I know it's just 2 years of work experience period. If you don't have the credentials and the experience for the Z visa, the other option is an F1 cultural exchange visa. Despite opinions to the contrary, it's completely legal to use that, however, you cannot be a paid employee, a stipend and living allowance is generally legal though.

But, the Z-visa is the one you want, it allows for a much more secure time in China without having to worry as much about problems with the authorities.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Just write up your resume and put down 2 years of working experience even if it's not true. There's no way they can check because the companies are located abroad (or you could ask a friend to act as a reference - however, I've never heard of any Chinese department that would call up a former employer abroad to verify past employment details of a foreigner applying to work in China).

Or if you do have some experience but not quite 2 years, just "doctor" the dates to make them at least 2 year's worth. it's not that difficult. then you translate your resume. However, I think you do have to be 24 years old or older. If not, you'll find it more difficult to fit in the required 2 years' worth of experience unless it was performed during the time of your university studies.

As for providing a recommendation letter from a previous employer, OK again you could almost write one up yourself using company logos you place on a letterhead. However, in Kunming and many other places only a translated resume is required.

Or if you do have some experience but not quite 2 years, just "doctor" the dates to make them at least 2 year's worth. it's not that difficult. then you translate your resume. However, I think you do have to be 24 years old or older. If not, you'll find it more difficult to fit in the required 2 years' worth of experience unless it was performed during the time of your university studies.

I believe 25 is the minimum age to be considered eligible, or was in 2012 when I was last concerned.

OK so it might depend on where you apply. I read it was 24, but that was in Kunming. However, I didn't read anything that specifically stated the minimum age was 24 in Kunming or that the minimum age was higher elsewhere - I simply thought it applied nationwide. In any case, even if it is 25, I'm older than that and was already older than that at the time I first applied so it wasn't relevant for me.

I believe that of course you could have gotten the work experience required when you were abroad and aged less than 25 so I made a little mistake in my previous post - essentially if you are aged at least 24 or 25 then you would most likely have been able to get post graduation experience - however, even if you were still studying then at the same time, it doesn't matter. This is the idea behind the minimum age of 24 or 25...because by that time you would have theoretically been able to get 2 or so year's worth of experience.

• 4 years later...
fresh-graduate 2018

Did finally work i know its been a long time  , but i kinda have the same situation i have had 2 years experience before i graduated and some experience in teaching in China during my studies. I got an offer in Ningxia province small city. I have about 6 months after graduation now im worried i may not get the Z visa , any advise or suggestions