Chinese-Forums

Hollywood movies in China?

TheAccidentalTraveller

• New Members
TheAccidentalTraveller

Hello,

I might be spending a few months in China next year - waiting on a interview at the moment.

If I get this opportunity I intend to take full advantage of it and take in as much of the culture as I can.

However, one thing I can't live without is cinema.

There are a few Hollywood movies coming in 2013 that I am looking forward to. There are stories on the Internet that Chinese authorities block movies or at least make certain months in cinemas for Chinese movies only.

Is this actually true?

Is there a website that lists Chinese release dates of Hollywood films?

Also, I rarely get to see Chinese movies in a cinema at home. Are there cinemas in mainland China that run Chinese movies with English subtitles?

• Like 1

As I understand, there is a quota for how many foreign movies are in theatres every year, but I believe that most blockbusters do make it to the mainland.

And recently, a lot of movies have been going with a Chinese partner, in order to avoid being part of the quota, so this is becoming less and less relevant.

When I was in China, I noticed that theatres there had all the summer movies that US movie theatres were offering.

• New Members
TheAccidentalTraveller

Thanks, folks.

Yes, Iron Man 3 is supposed to be a co-production but officially it hadn't happened yet as far as I know.

I'm only interested in seeing them at the cinema, but would those be legal DVDs?

There doesn't seem to be any option to quote on the mobile version so I hope you see my reply.

What about cinemas showing Chinese films with subtitles for non-Chinese? Is that done?

Cheers.

If you can't live without cinema and must see those films in cinemas then I think you probably might want to reconsider your plans. I think flexibility is quite important when you want to relocate to a foreign country, even if just temporarily.

If those films are not available for viewing in cinemas in Mainland China for whatever reasons, you can always fly to HK or Taiwan to see them. I know there are people who cross the border to come to HK to watch films. Also, a very good friend of mine sometimes flies to Singapore and Taipei to watch shows and films. This option is a bit expensive, though, unless your destination is Shenzhen. But if you can't live without cinema and are only interested in seeing those films in cinemas, this might be worth considering.

• Like 1

I can imagine all those movies being shown here in China. They will have Chinese subtitles probably. I've seen movies like the Avengers and the Dark Knight here in Beijing.

I can't think where would show Chinese movies with English subtitles - but you can probably find these on DVD, or download them (no, not legally).

The latest quota I head was 35 American films per year would be released in China. That isn't very many considering how many films Hollywood puts out a year, but the "big" ones usually make it, though usually later. I was determined to see The Dark Knight Rises in theaters, but it came out almost two months late. That was a painful wait. Skyfall and The Hobbit will be coming out in Jan, but we saw Skyfall in HK and will see The Hobbit in Bangkok (fingers crossed). The biggest thing to worry about is the size of your town. The first town we lived in had a cinema, but the movies (even Pirates of the Carribean and Harry Potter) were all dubbed and subtitled in Chinese. But Changsha is big enough that the movies are all in English. Even big Chinese movies are subbed in English which is pretty cool. Just find your local theater and ask if they have films in English and see if they have a mailing list. I get a list of all the movies from my theater sent to me daily.

> Is there a website that lists Chinese release dates of Hollywood films?

Yeah, there's a good one but the bookmark is on my work computer so I'll try and get that tomorrow.

To be honest though, haven't you noticed that superhero movies are absolute and total garbage? China could be an opportunity to wean you off that crap!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You can watch them on the Chinese sites such as youku and tudou. There are a lot of western movies uploaded on these sites for free.

The OP has specifically stated that he/she wants to see the movies in cinemas.

• Like 2