Chinese-Forums

72-hour visa-free stay in Beijing

liuzhou

Beijing will start a 72-hour visa-free stay policy for citizens of 45 countries from Jan. 1, 2013, municipal authorities said Wednesday.

Tourists holding third country visas and plane tickets can apply for a transit without visa (TWOV) in the capital city at Beijing Capital International Airport.

Xinhua

They go on to list the 45 countries which are eligible. These include the USA, Canada, Australia, most of Europe and some place I've never heard of called the United Kingdom of Britain.

I'm not sure how useful this is to anyone, but worth noting, I guess.

• Like 3

I guess this will mostly benefit Chinese airlines, or just China Airlines

Don't get that at all. A lot of international airlines fly into Beijing. And out again. My last flight was London-Beijing with British Airways. I could have been planning heading on elsewhere. (Not that I need a visa.)

BTW. There is a bit of an interesting discussion going on in Twitter about which countries are NOT included. Norway (damned Noble Prize giving monkeys) for example.

Sweden gives out all of them except one. Norway is the country that awards the Peace Prize and it's not on the list. It is in fact the only one of the Nordic countries that is not. The Chinese foreign ministry apparently commented to the Norwegian media that "some countries whose government or people are of 'low quality' are not on the list."

• Like 1

Cute. Remind me never to hurt the feelings of the Chinese people.

Poor Norwegians. Have they met with the Dalai Lama? Sold fighter jets to Taiwan? Bombed a Chinese embassy in Belgrade? Been Japanese? But one little peace prize, the only one they get to award, and they hurt the feelings of a billion or so people. Oops!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
is it possible to change that visa to another visa type or extend it once in Beijing?
Does anyone know what the official name of that type of visa is? X, Z, F, L, ABC?

It isn't a visa. It is a visa-free stay policy. So it's unlikely to have a visa name. Or be extendible. It is difficult enough extending visas as it is without turning up at the PSB and saying "I want to extend this visa which I don't have!"

I can't see them getting the joke.

is it possible to change that visa to another visa type or extend it once in Beijing?

Haha you beat me to it, wanted to ask the same thing today.

To rephrase the question : Does anyone know if it is possible now to enter Beijing without a visa and get a visa there at the appropriate office ?

• New Members

I heard this is also eligible in Shanghai now - does anyone know more about this or have a link to an official source?

So far only friends told me.

Quite urgent since I have friends visiting so any reply will be highly appreciated.

To rephrase the question : Does anyone know if it is possible now to enter Beijing without a visa and get a visa there at the appropriate office ?

No it isn't possible. Unless you are personally invited by government officials. If you are just a tourist/student - no chance.