Chinese-Forums

Chinese name on HSK Certificate

Stefani

Dajia hao,

I am wondering if you have taken the HSK, do they put your Chinese name on the Certificate? Mine did not and the admission ticket and score report did not show them either (although I wrote it when I registered). My son has not received the certificate yet, but his Chinese name did not show up on the admission ticket or the score report either.

I am just curious :-)

Xie xie,

• Thanks 1

Apparently it's quite random. I'm Dutch, and I passed levels 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the written exam, and level 1/2 of the oral exam. I always specify a Chinese name (汉克 = han4ke4 = more or less equivalent to my Dutch first name, Henk). On the certificates for the written exam they just specify my Dutch name, on the certificate for the oral exam they just specify my Chinese name (which is very weird, I had not seen it when I received the certificate).

• 3 weeks later...

Xie xie Fanglu and Milin for replying. Yeah, I guess it doesn't really matter, but I wish they had written the Chinese name on the certificate. At least my name was once upon a time a legal name, and my son's is also not a made up name.

It is interesting that for Milin's oral exam certificate they put the Chinese name. We have not taken the oral exams, so we'll see what we will get when we do in a year or two.

• 10 years later...

I am from Sri Lanka. I wrote the February 2023 HSK 3 exam where I used 邓美华 as my Chinese name. I don't like that name very much. Then I wrote the HSK 4 exam in August 2023 where I used 邓小丽 as my Chinese name. I really like the name 邓小丽. I am about to apply for a scholarship in China in 2024. Will changing my Chinese name be a problem? ???

On 11/4/2023 at 4:58 PM, Navodya said:

Will changing my Chinese name be a problem?

I don't think so. From my experience, in China they'll care about what's written on your passport; your original name is the only one that matters because it's what's on your passport, which probably is your only identity document valid overseas. Maybe if you've been to China before and have some document (like a certificate) showing your past Chinese name they'll complain about the incongruence.