Chinese-Forums

Need to buy something peacock in Beijing

WestTexas

Hey guys. I need to buy a Christmas present for my Dad's wife. She has this weird thing for peacocks, so I was thinking I'd bring her something from China that is a peacock. I've seen a few peacock things in various knick-knack shops, and Chinese people seem to like peacocks, so I think I should be able to do this. I looked around the town where I work but the peacocks I found were all ugly.

What I need is a place in Beijing that sells a variety of decorative items, sculpture things, etc. at a reasonable price. I found a nice-looking peacock thing in a souvenir shop by the Forbidden City, but it was rather expensive. I'm guessing there are other places around Beijing that sell similar items for better prices. I am only in Beijing for two days before I fly out, so I'd like to pick something up in that time. If someone could suggest a place to browse such things, I'd appreciate it.

Barring that, any backup suggestions for Christmas gifts for a 55-to-60-year-old redneck lady would be appreciated... stuff I can buy in Beijing quickly.

As a side note, Happy Holidays to everyone, and good luck to any who have exams coming up.

Slightly off topic but seeing as though Peacocks don't come up very often (ever) in this forum -

Our old neighbors used to have two pet Peacocks. Paid 3,000 RMB a piece for them. Apparently there is a Peacock farm on the outskirts of Beijing somewhere, might have been this one -

http://www.cysyyz.com/stencil/478/index_cn.asp?Client_ID=23531&Edition_ID=1

They have stuffed Peacocks for sale on the site (标本), don't know if customs would let you take one home though......

Would be an excellent gift.

Haven't seen the neighbors 2 around the last couple of summers, perhaps they ended up on the dinner table.

If it still makes you before leaving, you could also go the non-literal way and find her a recording of the performance of Yang Liping (杨丽萍), the 'Peacock Princess of China'. She is considered one of the best performers and choreographers of peacock dancing in China, and would make for a very China-flavored, cultural gift.

Bought this red paper cutout of two peacocks fighting at an arts and crafts place on 东直门. Actually, it says they are phoenixes, but whatever. The whole thing is in red and the feathers look like peacock feathers, so it will do. The red paper is attached to a nice-looking silky background and framed. It cost 158 yuan.