Chinese-Forums

Material after "Oh, China!"

Zephys

Hello, I have been using "Oh, China!" (中國啊,中国) for a year now and have almost finished learning the material in the book. I'm wondering what books I can study next to improve my Chinese even more. Right now, I can barely read newspapers so I know that I still have a long way to go. Are there any readers out there I can study after this textbook?

How about Newspaper Readings: The United States in the People's Daily ("人民日报"笔下的美国)? It's by the same author, it's a step up from A Trip to China. I'm just coming to the end of it, it's a lovely book made up of selections from the People's Daily, big vocab lists, political cartoons and more. And all the texts are great, slamming the US for one reason or another (they're all from 1990 and 91, so go figure.)

The next one my class is going to use is A Kaleidoscope of China, again by Zhou Zhi Ping. It just came in the post, very hefty, much more up-to-date as well.