Chinese-Forums

A Pleco for Japanese?

kdavid

I've kicked off the new year by beginning my Japanese studies.

I'll be journaling my study habits and progress to see how long it takes me to learn. I'm only focusing on reading only. (I'd love to do it all, but my time is limited, and I really want "Japanese reading proficiency" on my grad school applications.)

I've had such huge success with Pleco that I'd like to find a Japanese equivalent.

I have searched Google (and here!), but have no found a comparison.

I'd love to hear anyone's personal experience with Japanese-learning iPad apps/dictionaries, and what they'd recommend.

• 3 months later...

bump.

I'm basically planning on doing the same as above--that is to reach Japanese reading proficiency (& and, well functional speaking). I studied it a bit before the era of smartphones....so if there is now a nice app available as I re-launch my effort, then please chime in :mrgreen: . Likewise if I find any useful info from colleagues or instructors I guess I'll post the links up here too.

• 6 months later...

Holy bump!

I speak Japanese fluently (passed JLPT N1 a couple of years ago) and have used all kinds of apps on my iPhone.
In addition to my lovely Anki, I use:

- Daijirin (Monolingual J-J dictionary - absolutely amazing if you can understand the japanese explanations)
- Imiwa (I think that's how it's spelled, it's basically the romanization of 意味は? A good, free e-j j-e dictionary based on JDICT)
- Skritter (handwriting)
- KanjiBox (used it for some time, cool for learning readings outside Anki)

• Like 1