Chinese-Forums

Laowai job market - overview needed

Alex Whiteman

There is considerable expense and hassle for a company to hire foreigners. It probably doesn't take 2 months, and maybe it is an easy way to to a probation period, but if they are paying you an acceptable rate I don't see a huge problem with it.

Mine has taken about 2 months actually. If you can make a deal to count this as your probation period and then after getting your visa, let them give you an early upgrade, it could work. Of course it will not be legal during the first 2 months, so it seems you have to decide if its worth it or not.

• 1 month later...

Ok, just for the record: Third month of job search; second offer.

It's much less than I originally asked and it came with a "trial period" added out of the blue (which, given the simplicity of the job, is insulting).

To be honest, I was pissed off when I read the offer to the point of needing three hours at the gym to calm down - but really, while it's bad for me, it's ok for any random early 20s foreigner with no experience and/or nothing better to do.

So yeah I'm gonna turn it down - most likely not without an (extremely) aggressive counter-offer before. . . just in case I get away with it.

. . .but there are opportunities for foreigners here. There are. . . 

__

On another note: it's obvious (to me, now) employers are short listing list candidates they can interview in person, with little exceptions, so location matters more than I thought.

• Like 1