Chinese-Forums

Who is the most popular Chinese singer in your country?

ses096

Im From U.S....

Never heard of any chinese singers being here. So its kinda hard to keep up with the uhhhhh songs there. I do have MV zone (chinese) on my Direct TV satellite. Yep. :D

Jacky Chan, Lucy Liu, Bruce Lee, Jet Li are famous. But theyre not famous.

• 1 year later...
I just found out that Silver Ash, China's first visual rock band, is surprisingly popular here in Finland. Many of the j-rock fans here listen to it. I hope they don't think the band's japanese

Are you sure that those fans listen to Silver Ash? There is a band in Japan that used to be popular with Japanese guys, it is called "Dragon Ash". They are not so popular anymore, but I remember the J-pop fans in my school really liked them.

A lot of people in the US have rented "Chungking Express", so they will have heard Faye Wong's cover of "Dreams". And her collaboration with the Cocteau Twins aroused some interest over here, I think (saw it as a "staff pick" a few years ago).

Sandee Chan's not bad. Candy Lo, too. Not known in the US, but for those looking for something less schmaltzy...You could also check out www.niubi.com, they play the real indie stuff. Unfortunately it's offline at the moment.

• 10 months later...

I know this thread is old, but I'm new here and it was an interesting discussion,

From what I've heard and seen in the USA the most well known are Faye Wong, Jay Chou, Nicholas Tse, Coco Lee...

Most people will still not know who they are though...they are mostly known by people who don't have contact with the Chinese community because of movies or soundtracks.

As for bands, when the topic of Chinese bands comes up conversations, a number people knew about Brain Failure (脑浊) who has toured in America.

Also, among fans of Japanese visual rock, Beijing's Silver Ash (银色灰尘) is somewhat popular.

• 3 weeks later...
Are you sure that those fans listen to Silver Ash?

Yes, I'm sure it's Silver Ash they're listening to. J-rock has a small, but very dedicated fanbase here, and I've talked to some folks who really dig Silver Ash, and I kinda hope this would lead to some of those folks gaining an intested in other Chinese bands as well. Might be a bit too optimistic, given that most Chinese bands play very different kind of music than Silver Ash. (I don't really like the band myself, and I do love many Chinese bands)

The punk band Subs also gained some attention when on tour here. I went to one gig and was lucky enough to get a chance to talk a bit with the band in chinese. That was fun.

• 4 months later...