Chinese-Forums

Where to learn Jeet Kune Do in Wudaokou.

Andrea.dispe

I'm going to spend one year studying chinese at BLCU and live near wudakou station line 13. I'm looking for some gym or place where to learn Jeet Kune Do. I practised Shotokan Karate for many years, but now that I am here I just want to learn Jeet Kune Do so badly! Anyone knows about a place near where do I live? I can also move, not so much, but yeah for that I might do.

Thx

This place claims to have "the only authorized teacher in mainland China":

http://thehutong.com/blog/jeet-kune-do-at-the-hutong/#http://thehutong.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Jeet-Kune-Do-11.jpg

However it's rather far from Wudaokou.

(I'm a little confused as to why being in Beijing would cause an avid interest for Jeet Kune Do but possibly I misintepreted your post?)

Because from where I come Jeet Kune Do is basically unknown. For many years I practiced karate and I now need to learn some technique which does not rely all on steady positions and little movements. I always felt as I'd enjoy more practicing some free-movement technique instead steady ones.

Apprently it seems John Mecleod of the hutong gym you mentioned above went back in USA last year, so I guess I have to find someonelse.

The thing is, Jeet Kune Do is also basically unknown in mainland China. It was not developped in mainland China. Local teachers won't know it (unless they have travelled beyond the mainland to visit a JKD teacher).

Now, if you were studying in California for instance, then you would have an opportunity to study JKD with Dan Inosanto.

The wikipedia page has names of other people who studied with Bruce Lee, you might want to check whether they have sent students to teach in Beijing.

But, yes, why not study a traditional Chinese martial art while you have the chance? (for instance Wing Chun, which Bruce Lee studied before creating JKD - but I don't know whether there are good teachers in Beijing. It is very different from Shotokan Karate since it teaches close range fighting and sensitivity training.)

Or even sanda...

Are you looking for contemporary wushu (which is what I do here in Texas) or traditional Shaolin kungfu? Beijing has very good wushu schools but I don't know which ones have open enrollment to the public. I can try to find out.

HI

have you thought about something like shuai jiao, I think there is still a school at BLCU . its very traditional and some of the best people are in Beijing.Its a good practical system with a long history.

If you do not know about it, below is a documentary about it in Beijing with Wang wenyong

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDIyMjM2Mzk2.html

if not there are teachers in many different styles in most parks. you have a great choice.

phil

go to tian tan park at 8am, walk around and look at all the different systems being practised and try some. the park is full of some very senior teachers, there are several systems of bagua, taiji, xingyi and many systems you will never have seen or heard of. when you find something you like ask them for information of a class closer to where you are or just go there at the weekends to learn.

I say Tian Tan as its has a very big choice, all parks have people training.

PS don't tell any shuai jiao players that its a sort of judo, they don't like it.

If you find a system you like and need help finding a teacher just ask, I am lucky enough to have a lot of contacts in this field.