Chinese-Forums

Forums iPhone / Android App?

roddy

Android / iPhone App  

10 members have voted

1. 1. If there was a forums Android / iPhone app available

• I'd definitely use it.
    • I''m happy using the mobile version of the site via my phone's browser.
    • I wouldn't use it.

This is theoretical at this point, but the costs of getting a whitelabel smartphone app seem to be coming down quite a chunk, as the following quote from an email newsletter I got recently makes clear:

lowers our price from $3,499 to just $29/month.

Obviously over a decade you'd be better off just paying the $3.5K, but anyway...

I'm not sure how much demand there'd be, but thought I'd ask. The mobile version of the forums is, I think, pretty decent, although I only use it to read (I stay logged out so I don't write hasty and bad-tempered posts while waiting in the cold for a bus*. I prefer to do that at home, in the warm.). And I know a lot of people use dedicated multi-forum apps like Forum Runner and Tapatalk, and might prefer to go that route (we are on Tapatalk).

The app would be free to users, but there'd probably be ads, and some way of turning the ads off at a very reasonable cost. Quite possibly free for existing regulars. There would be both iPhone and Android versions.

Thoughts, and general comments on mobile use of the forum, welcome.

*I'm only half joking. Mobile use lends itself to short hurried posts. I'm not sure how the quality / quantity equation works out for this.

Yeah, that's something I would look at, but latest is they've abandoned Android for now, will only be "polishing" the iPhone app, and there won't be anything new happening until 4.0 when it'll be more web app than app - which might be fine, but frankly I'm not holding my breath.

• 1 year later...