Chinese-Forums

Edible worms skimmed from paddies?

Echo

I am starting to read a transcription of an oral family history and my grandmother mentioned "vor chuong (choon?)" as a treat they harvested in August, September and October from the "hen" fields. Skimmed them off the water and they were reddish/greenish and tiny like strands of grass. Wormlike.

She was from Taishan and said everyone shared in netting them. They were good scrambled, dried, steamed or salted. They were sold as well.

I cannot seem to find anything about these worms from researching online but would love to find out if anyone knows what these are? She left China before 1950 if that helps.

Has anyone heard of these edible worms? Can you give me more insight?

You mean they look gross, right? :mrgreen:

I wonder if I have ever eaten those things. I don't think I have. But obviously they are considerd delicacies for those who like them. haha.

PS - and they are really a food item, not just worms, as almost all the photos are on different dishes featuring them.

I unfortunately cannot speak or read in Chinese. How would you pronounce 禾蟲? And what is the approximate definition?

I can see the first character is like cereal/grain/grass which makes sense, but I cannot get a grasp on the second character.

By the photos, it HAS TO BE THEM!!! Thank you so much to everyone who tried to help.

From first glance they almost look like your average sea worm bait!

I can see the first character is like cereal/grain/grass which makes sense, but I cannot get a grasp on the second character.

蟲 is the traditional form of 虫. 禾蟲 would be pronounced hé chónɡ in Mandarin.

And wow, the pictures on google are indeed eye-opening. I don't think insects are a regular part of the diet of the Chinese here in Singapore (except as part of traditional medicinal, like 冬虫夏草), but now I wonder if these worms are exported to the Cantonese or Fuzhounese population here. I'll go ask my Cantonese friends if they've heard of "wo/vor chong".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...