Chinese-Forums

The first 30,000 Chinese words by frequency

djwebb2004

Don't you find this top-20 list peculiar? Is this a list of most frequently used phrases from the People's Daily? :D By the way, the original list of 30,000 words is at

http://www.chinese-forums.com/phrases.xls

我们 /we/us/ourselves/

可以 /can/may/possible/able to/

他们 /they/

进行 /to advance/to conduct/underway/in progress/to do/to carry out/to carry on/to conduct/to execute/

没有 /haven`t/hasn`t/doesn`t exist/to not have/to not be/

工作 /job/work/construction/work/task/

人民 /(the) people/

生产 /to produce/manufacture/

这个 /this/

发展 /development/growth/to develop/to grow/to expand/

就是 /(emphasizes that something is precisely or exactly what is stated)/precisely/exactly/even/if/just like/in the same way as/

问题 /problem/issue/topic/

国家 /country/nation/

中国 /China/Chinese/

我党 /our party/

这样 /this (kind of, sort of)/this way/such/like this/such/

革命 /(political) revolution/

自己 /self/(reflexive pronoun)/own/

不能 /cannot

I made a list of the most frequent simplified characters that were different from their traditional equivelant. I'm learning traditional in school but wanted to learn the most common simplified too... it sucked wading thru lists of simplified by frequency because I knew most of them same same. Now I've got a shorter simplified list that's far more concentrated that I can throw into my satchel and study on during spare moments.

Any other traditional characters learners want it I can upload it here or something.

Ok, attached as txt, format is kinda like this:

这 這 ZHE4 ZHEI4

个 個 GE4 GE3

会 會 HUI4 KUAI4 GUI4

为 爲 WEI4 WEI2

来 來 LAI2 LAI4

学 學 XUE2

时 時 SHI2

说 説 SHUO1 SHUI4 TUO1 YUE4

问 問 WEN4

过 過 GUO4 GUO GUO1

请 請 QING3 QING4 QING1 QING2

们 們 MEN5

还 還 HUAN2 HAI2 XUAN2

电 電 DIAN4

对 對 DUI4

後 后 HOU4

讯 訊 XUN4

国 國 GUO2

发 發 FA1 FA4 FA3 BO1

无 無 WU2 MO2

当 當 DANG1 DANG4

吗 嗎 MA5 MA2 MA3

现 現 XIAN4

点 點 DIAN3

题 題 TI2 DI4

样 樣 YANG2 YANG4 XIANG4 YANG2

经 經 JING1 JING4

谢 謝 XIE4

etc. a little over 2000 entries sorted by freq

allsimp.txt

• 11 years later...

This list of 30,000 words is really great and is exactly what i was looking for.  But the trad/pinyin/ English is missing after row 61.  It's there another list with all of this information?  Otherwise, I found the text version of CEDICT, and i think i can import to excel as a space-separated value as well as some brute force, and then use VLOOKUP to fill in the info in the 30,000 word list. 

I have played around with the 30,000 words file.  I updated the remaining information using a combination of CC CEDICT, as well as google translate, but there are still a few words that I dont have the english definition for.  Some of them are totally obvious, but i want to find a SYSTEMATIC way of populating this.  All of these are at the bottom and are labeled as #N/A, which is an artifact of the VLOOKUP method i used to populate a lot of the information.  Any ideas on how to easily finish off this last amount of words?  it is about 7000 words if i am not mistaken.

phrases_complete.xlsx