Chinese-Forums

Finding a proctor in Beijing

大肚男

I will be in China for a brief period of time in March, and I have an exam on 3/7.

When I told my professor, he told me to find a proctor, and he will Email him/her the exam.

I have no idea where to even start looking.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The only relevant post her is from more than 3 years ago, and it didn't contain any useful information.

I assume you are studying at a university in the USA.

Then your embassy in Beijing should be able to help you.

If they can't proctor your exam directly, they can probably direct you to someone who can. There will most probably be a fee.

(Well, some French embassies do this kind of thing for students who study online or through correspondence at some French universities, and embassy staff would have kids who need to take exams as well...)

You could also ask recognized cultural organizations in Beijing (British Council or equivalent) whether they can help.

It all depends on what requirements your teacher or uni will have to accept someone as a valid proctor anyway, so the more famous the organization the better.

If your teacher has anything to do with China, you could also ask him whether he has contacts at universities in Beijing, someone he can trust to proctor the exam.

What you need to check is whether you need to take the exam at the exact same time as your classmates (probably in the middle of the night in Beijing?) or not...

Thank you for the reply. Your assumption is correct, I am studying in the U.S.

I e-mailed the U.S. embassy last night, and I'm waiting for a response.

Unfortunately, my professor has no connection to China.

• 3 weeks later...

An update.

as of today, I haven't been able to get in touch with the US embassy.

Also, I found a teacher's assistant who was willing to proctor the exam, but !y professor is requiring a professor.

I have tried to contact some professors that I have met in China, and they're either abroad, on vacation, or did not respond.

at the moment, I am getting anxious, as my trip and exam date are fast approaching.

unfortunately, the exam is on the day after I arrive, so I doubt I'll have time to arrange any thing once I leave.

If I do make it, and am able to find a proctor, I will post my experience here.

• Like 1