Chinese-Forums

Taking the HSK? Already taken it? Report in here! (2013)

rob07

• 2 weeks later...
Level 6 HSK

听力

阅读
写作
Score

口试

I knew I would be close if I passed since I thought my handwriting and listening weren't very up to scrach, but I didn't think my writing was this not up to scratch! I used lots of 错别字 in my piece, and I imagine I lost lots of points there, probably enough that I could have passed that section otherwise. Time to practice more writing/handwriting I guess.

The most surprising thing is my oral score. I pretty much said nothing in the first, repeat what you heard section. So that score is based on basically missing one section there. I figured my listening would be lower too. Hmm.
  • Like 1

• New Members

To 欧博思:

And which level did you take actually? I took the lvl5 one with partial success, because i'm not too proud of the scores i achieved in the other sections of the test. Listening was not too difficult on the whole, but as for me, there is a lot of room for improvement, so i recently watch dramas to practice.

Writing wasn't too bad either, my biggest mistake here was wasting too much time on being eager to remember a certain character, which eventually took a really long time (10-15 minutes), that is to say i felt really flustered at the end, and i could barely finish the section with a lot of mistakes.

Reading on the other hand was easy as pie for me since i learned Japanese before, so i'm quite at home with Hanzi. The questions were straightforward, not so confusing as in the Jlpt, where even if i understand the whole text, it still can be a pain in the ass to pick the right answer. Moreover, the texts in the hsk5 were actually funny, and to my surprise i found them rather entertaining. 

So my scores are as follows

听力
阅读
写作
Total Score

This year i'm gonna take lvl6, and in order to do so, i'll try hard to improve my listening skills in the first place, and last but not least i'm gonna introduce some heavy writing practice to survive the "story recollecting" part.

Good luck with studying, and Happy New Year!

• Like 1

1q2w3e welcome to the board! I took level 6, and I wrote a little bit more about my post-test impression in post #19 in this thread if you want to take a look. There's also many other members who've written their impressions (and passed) from which could help you formulate your level 6 attack plan.

Having previous character knowledge via Japanese definitely helps, and your writing score reflects that. I think as long as you don't  use too many 错别字 like me then you'll be fine on level 6 writing, since the story itself is not too hard to remember.

Watching dramas (and 非诚勿扰)should be lots of help to your listening, and speaking too if you play it line by line and repeat the actors manner of speaking. But you didn't mention anything about taking the speaking test, so I'm just adding extra information thats not really needed when according to my scores I should be studying :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just took HSK 4 but don't know my scores yet. I would say the test I took was harder than the practice tests I'd been doing, especially the reading section. I have been getting about 85-95% at home doing the tests on paper but don't think I did that well on the actual test at all. I fluffed it a bit, nerves and other things I guess.

The listening and writing section were about the same as the tests I'd done before. I might have just been unlucky and had some obscure paragraphs or sentences using words I wasn't 100% on. I found that on one or two of the questions, I didn't really understand the question itself. Probably a good idea to collate all the types of question you get during practice tests and make sure you know what each is asking for. It didn't help that my phone alarm in my bag went off towards the end of the listening test and completely blew my concentration! Ah well, live and learn.

They wouldn't let you use pen and paper to make notes either, although many people had brought them originally. There was probably an exam split between HSK 4 and HSK 5 people.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • New Members

I have been in China for almost two years, and I now live in Beijing. I started studying Chinese before coming here, and I was s given a Confucius Scholarship to study for 2 semesters. I had some personal problems which interfered with my academic life, and I simply didn't prepare adequately for the HSK 5 last year to fulfill the requirements of my program. I failed that test, and I spent about a year studying on and off. I have signed up for the HSK 5 for June 14 (I think it is that date). I should pass it, but I must say my oral Chinese and written Chinese have a lot of problems, although I know a lot of words. I will be practicing a lot on my writing. This is a really good  sight I think. I wish I had been part of this community earlier.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
putonghuastudentmark
I did the HSK3 on 16th May this year:

听力:95
阅读:47
写作:76
总分:218 (pass mark 180).

I have been learning Chinese in spare time for 18 months as I work a demanding full time job. Killed HSK2 in February (178/200), but only started learning 汉字 since then (4 months) so reading was very bad. Friends are blown away by my newly acquired Mandarin skills, but they seem on par with most here. Since then been reading mandarincompanion and chinesebreeze graded readers, really should have had them before the exam.
Studied using combination of (in order of most time spent)
- memrise
- pleco
- anki
- meetup groups
- Hello HSK app
- italki

• 5 months later...

After a lengthy wait for my HSK 4 result, it has finally been released:

听力:91

阅读 72

写作:46

I'd say that it's a fairly accurate representation of the differences between each of the skills.

Overall, I'm pleased. My next aim is to continue studying material that I find interesting and attempt HSK 5 roughly the same time next year.

Well done. Writing (and speaking - seperate test) in any language is always harder compared to reading and listening.

Also the structures the questions are more favourable towards listening in my opinion. The reading questions generallly have more grammar oriented tests than the listening ones do.

What caught you out with the writing? Obviously your vocabulary is good... was it an issue of being too slow under pressure, not knowing how to use the vocabulary which came up, or something else?

@putonghuastudentmark

The main issue is that I rarely practice writing characters, so when it came to actually producing sentences - as opposed to simply re-arranging words into sentences - things got tough. This, despite the fact that I finished the reading section with ten minutes to spare.

Overall, I don't think it was a question of not having enough time. I simply didn't prepare for the writing part of the test.