Chinese-Forums

Who takes the HSK 1? And why?

drencrom

Err ... I did.

Because it was a milestone, positive proof of something achieved.

Admittedly, once you get to a higher levels HSK level 1 does seem pointless, but at the time, HSK level 1 mattered to me.

At the moment HSK level 4 is my big milestone.

If I ever get to DaShan's level, I might even come to consider HSK level 4 to be pointless. :wink:

• Like 4

People who haven't been studying Chinese for very long, but want to take an exam either to check their progress, have some kind of official achievement to put on their CV or wall, or as practice for higher level exams later, or some other reason.

Next question?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The HSK level required to get into Chinese undergraduate courses varies a lot, from level 3 to 6 http://www.study-in-china.org/school/Liaoning/dbcjdx/admission.asp .

Not everyone takes exams to put on their CV or get into school though- I am working my way through the HSK levels simply as a way of focusing my efforts and gauging my progress. I have no intention to ever use the HSK for anything work related.

• 3 weeks later...

HSK level 1 is more of a self-test than anything. It gives you a good idea as to whether you can understand basic Chinese (under pressure, of course).

Honestly though, the HSK level 1 certificate doesn't get you anywhere.

It can't get you into a university.

Companies don't care.

But some people like to climb the ladder, you know?

HSK 1 -> HSK 2 -> HSK 3... all the way to the top. It's like leveling up in a videogame. :mrgreen: