Chinese-Forums

Neti pot (or saline rinse)- where to find in Beijing?

ChTTay

Hey all,

I'm trying to track down a neti pot or " rinse" type of thing in Beijing. I've read on "my health Beijing" that at least the rinse thing might be available in some western pharmacies but that post is three years old.

The post is here: http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/2009/09/nasal-rinsing-fun-for-the-whole-family/

I thought i'd post here before i try going pharmacies on the off chance someone has seen something like this recently.

I know you can get some netipots on taobao/amazon but they seem really expensive, well, at least they are at least double the cost as the UK Amazon site. Also, it seems like something i'd like to look at/hold first.

I also had no idea what a Neti pot was either until a week or two ;-)

Thanks again

新年快乐

Considering what type of tap water we get here and the fact that there is a good chance the bottled water you get is tap water still, I would be very wary of using one -- even though boiling the water is supposed to effectively kill off the Naegleria parasite. That being said, have you tried Amazon CN?

Duh, it didn't occur to me. I also didn't see you had already mentioned Amazon. If everything else fails, I suppose shipping costs from India would be somewhat cheap? (And I have no clue about Beijing, but I'm pretty sure you could find one for a good price in HK.)

Thanks for that Roddy! i did have a search but nothing looked promising... Guess the title of that post didnt "twig" anything.

The baby bottle doesn't seem that appealing but youre right about a teapot.

My problem isn't phlegm really, I have sinus problems and want to see if regular rinsing makes any difference. I have a saline spray I brought back from the UK but you can't refill it.

As to the small teapot, you should be able to find one for 20 or at most 30 Yuan. You don't need a special "purple clay" 紫砂 pot, or one made in Yixing 宜兴 even though those are often easier to find. As a western-looking person, that's what the shop assistant will first think you are seeking, and they can run several hundred yuan. These little pots sit in the palm of your hand and are quite popular (for making Pu'er tea) here in Yunnan.