Chinese-Forums

Help! Child born in China. How to keep two passport,. China n' America

pandabear123

i'm wanting to marry a chinese girl. i've lived in GZ for 3 years. what your trying to do sounds interesting and seems in favor of the kid to have control of his future. i've heard that if you decided his nationality was to be american and one day he wanted to renounce his USA citizenship .. no problem.. he can easily become chinese.. because i've your ethnic and you were born there then it works.

if you want to do it just to for grins.. here's the problem i dont' understand.. i go to hk all the time and i understand its special position. now in hk, boarder control is clamping down. they don't even stamp your passport.. i'm an american citizen so i get a piece of paper that says i get 90 days. once that 90 days is up you need to leave the 'country'. so if you plan on being abroad from china more than 90 days .. then if you pull this passport switch-a-roo then it will appear as if you've grossly overstayed your daoxing-thingy.. that could run you a pretty good fine. chinese mainlanders aren't generally able to stay indefinitely.

so how do you maintain this dual citizenship through out his live went i'm thinking somethign around 90 days is the normal limit? seems a lot of trouble... your child would be entitled to what ever he wants with a usa passport and a family visa. he can forfeit his usa citizenship any time he chooses.

• 1 year later...

I"m in a similar situation to the original poster.   My wife is pregnant in CHina and we want our child to spend his/her first 10 years in CHina and then later go to Canada.   I the father am Canadian and my wife has permanent residence card for Canada but is still a Chinese national.

So our biggest challenge is how to have my child come visit me in Canada during periodically during those first 10 years.    Probably the Canadian embassy will not agree to let a child of a Canadian parent travel to Canada on a tourist visa in their CHinese  passport.  And will insist the child travel on a Canadian passport.   

Of course a child can't leave China using their Canadian passport as they will be looking for a Chinese travel visa in the passport.

Has anybody found a solution.

I'm going to Contact the Canadian embassy to see if their is any way they could let my child just travel to Canada with their chinese passport and a tourist visa.  But I doubt they will agree with that.

Plan B will probably be to travel to USA on a tourist visa in the Chinese passport for my chid and then from USA cross over into Canada on the Canadian passport. . and return to CHina later through exiting USA on Chinese passport.    Sure isn't simple!

People have suggested going out through HK .  but that is not very good solution because the HK  entry permit for mainland CHinese is only for a very brief period. . AND HK is in the process of being reclaimed as just another city in Mainland China..  They are losing their "special" status rapidly.

• 1 month later...

I've enjoyed reading this article with diverse opinions on the difficult subject of dealing with travel issues for children of binational couples. Here's my article, from a legal perspective, about applying for an Exit and Entry Permit (通行证) and other options: http://www.lawandborder.com/applying-exit-entry-permit-child/. I hope it adds to the discussion.