Chinese-Forums

making kefir in China

yaokong

Does anyone have experience make kefir at home? I did it earlier in Europe, and I remembered it to be quite easy, but then again, I was using very good quality milk, completely unprocessed. With enough kefir grains I had half a liter or a liter of milk turned into kefir in just a day or two.

I now took some kefir grains to China and tried to make some kefir, but it does not go as smoothly. It does turn some of the milk into kefir, but just partially and not very fast either. The kefir grains look in good shape, so I am guessing its the milk. Its some average milk ("yili" brand) you can find in any supermarket in Beijing. Although its not written on it, it might have lower lactose content than what is needed for kefir.

Does anyone have experience making kefir in China? What milk do you use? How long does it take to ferment?

• 2 weeks later...

I made kefir here last year. I'm a novice as far as actually making kefir goes, but it was really easy to buy the grains here. I found a seller on taobao and talked to them on QQ and went there in person to pick up some fresh grains rather than to have them dry the grains out then ship them, which would take longer to activate on my end.

• 1 year later...

I think you can now buy Kefir in supermarkets round here. I think the name was 开啡尓 or something on the box... It also said it in English.

It's being advertised on the escalator at my local Beijing supermarket right now.