Chinese-Forums

Train trip from Kunmig to Shanghai, ideas on tickets and itinerary?

Teashop

Hello!

We are traveling from Kunming to Shanghai by train, to get on our budget. I have some questions and any ideas could help.

- We will be in Kunming just for 3 or 4 days, will this be enough time in advance to get the train tickets or is there a place to get them online IN ENGLISH?

- How many hours would the total trip take? We might plan to make 1 or 2 stops for the night if its too long. Any recommended spots for a short stopover?

Anything else i should know??

Thanks!!

- We will be in Kunming just for 3 or 4 days, will this be enough time in advance to get the train tickets or is there a place to get them online IN ENGLISH?

Buy the tickets when you first arrive in Kunming, either at the train station or at one of the ticket outlets in the city. Your hotel or hostel may also be willing to help you for a small fee. Difficult to do on-line since you need to pay using a Chinese credit card unless you use one of the international booking sites, which add a hefty commission.

- How many hours would the total trip take? We might plan to make 1 or 2 stops for the night if its too long. Any recommended spots for a short stopover?

Seems to be a long trip, between 36 and 40 hours. Look here for actual times and schedules (as well as fares): http://www.cnvol.com/ or http://www.chinatrai...e.com/schedule/

As to stops between Kunming and Shanghai, you will need to work that out in advance because you cannot just get off at some intermediate point and then get back on the next day without paying a new fare. I don't know where to suggest you stop, since I have not traveled that route by train.

A second consideration is that if you just buy a ticket as far as some intermediate point, an onward ticket the next day may not be available.

Would suggest looking into sleeper berths on trains between your two main travel points on that leg of the trip (Kunming to Shanghai.) Especially check "hard sleeper" rates, since they are more economical.